Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Marlon's Ghetto 3.7L Intake Resonator Delete Mod

9K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Marlon_JB2 
#1 ·
I'm nowhere near finished with this yet but for now it works great.

Solved Issues:
1. Throttle body seems to be smaller or due to it being plastic, it *looks* smaller. This may have not been an issue if I got the intake tube from a 2007 Liberty, which has the plastic throttle body. Using the hose clamp from the throttle body end of the stock 3.7L WK, which is smaller, solved that issue.

Current Issues:

1. Check Engine Light due to intake air temp sensor not being plugged in (wire not long enough)
2. Due to the design of the 3.7L Liberty intake tube, it's not long enough to reach the airbox so I had to ghetto-rig it to work together with the WK 3.7L Tube. It works for now.. Tomorrow I will slice the Liberty tube pretty much in half.

Cost: $20.

Pics:

In this picture you can see that it's too long.

Where the tube meets at the throttle body.

Results: (Out of 5 smileys)

:D :D :D :D

Why not 5? Because its a tiny mod which had very little results. But the little results were extremely enjoyable. Quicker throttle response and for some odd reason, the transmission doesn't have to downshift so much anymore if I just want a few more MPH. Time will tell if gas mileage increases or decreases but I'm not gonna make my final judgment until that sensor gets plugged back in.

See less See more
Reactions: NHWK05
#3 ·
Nice work playa. Do you notice any difference in proformance?

#6 ·
Answer us mofakah... LOL

#8 ·
You guys are demanding. :p I do have a life outside of forums you know. :D

I haven't noticed any increased engine noise. I'm not sure if it got louder or not actually. My exhaust probably drowned it out. :p

Regarding performance, read first post. :D

#13 ·
UPDATE:

I listened really carefully and yes the intake is louder and the exhaust is marginally deeper. I swapped the two setups to compare just now. So basically the same results as you, Kyle.

I have yet to figure out how I'm gonna handle the IAT Sensor problem.

#15 ·
1. Check Engine Light due to intake air temp sensor not being plugged in (wire not long enough)

This shows where the IAT is mounted in the Liberty intake tube. The complete opposite side.

#16 ·
Hmmm, My only suggestion is, Get a power wire and see if its long enough to reach back there, Or do like i did, drill a 1/2" hole at the thick part of the ribbed tube near the clamp, and put it there, it will take a few trys and it wont drill a perfect hole as its rubber. Or you can try to drill a large hole and get a grommet with a 1/2" ID then put the grommet in the hole drilled in the plastic and put the sensor in that. If you get what i got the grommet with a 1/2" id needs a 13/16th hole. should work fine.

#17 ·
Before anyone says anything, yes I am well aware that I need gas yet again. :p

I just wanted to show that I am still averaging 17.4MPG. Nothing on that front has changed. Tomorrow I will work on the CEL, I got the tubing issue taken care of. No pics yet, it was too dark to see anything.

#18 ·
Another update for those who actually care.... Tubing issue taken care of as I said but now... oh boy, I turned the stereo down, and now I can hear a very LOUD hiss coming from the intake. ;) It's real sweet. Never heard any of that before. That would definitely be the point of the resonator, to quiet all that down.

I'm going to drill a hole in the bottom or side of the tube to take care of the IAT.

That's the final version.

#20 ·
Only thing is Scott... its not really ghetto anymore! Now it needs to be painted Red Rock so it won't look STOCK anymore! LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.