Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

CRD 3.0 Diesel

21K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Buffel 
#1 · (Edited)
Having done 160,000 kms of trouble free motoring (except for new glow plugs 1 month ago), my Jeep GC started jerking badly around 1500 to 1800 rpm, and within 2 mins a red light falshes on the dash (ETC error).
After 2 days the engine management also came on, with an EGT valve error.
We took it out, cleaned it, re-fitted it, but the red light flashing and severe jerking continues.
The Dealer is adamant that the Turbo is gone, and wants to replaced it for a cool USD 9,500-00, but this does not make any sense!
Any ideas what we should try first?
The fuel is clean, tank has been checked and flushed, car starts easily and idles very smooth, as before, but jerks badly after 1500 rpm.
After a short while, once the red light starts flashing, the car goes into some limp mode, and then stops jerking, but of course has no power.
Any sugestions most welcome.
Thanks, HdS
Durban, South Africa

#4 ·
Hi, cannot open the link http://www.*********.com/forum/f67/
Any chance you could possibly email me the article on hds@vodamail.co.za
I have in the meantime replaced the Turbo with an exchange unit, and the exhaust manifold pressure sensor, but the symptoms remain exactly the same, namely severe jerking after 1500 rpm, soon followed by the red flashing light with the lightning symbol on it.
Many thanks, Hds

#5 ·
Managed to get a proper diagnostic tool, and it is giving the error code P0046, which means "Turbo boost control solenoid range/perf."
Any idea if this is the control unit which is attached to the Turbo housing itself, and can this be replaced on its own, or do you have to replaced the entire Turbo (read lots of dollars)
HdS

#9 ·
Finally, new Turbo arrived from Johannesburg, fitted it and 2 hours later my Jeep goes like a bomb again, so if you see error P-0046, dont hesitate, replace the Turbo, just beware the dealer price is rather exhorbitant, I wonder if in the USA or Australia you can get the actuator unit (black box) on its own.
HdS

#10 ·
Any ideas why your exchange turbo did not correct the problem, but a new one did? Were there any additional parts associated to the new turbo that were not included with the exchange unit you picked up first?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.