Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Indicator lite on, but turns off upon starting up?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/indicator-lite-on-but-turns-off-upon-starting-up-10815.html)

SRTILL8 07-04-2010 10:40 PM

Indicator lite on, but turns off upon starting up??

yeah basically just noticed tonight. my indicator lite stays on after the usual all icons on for a several seconds after inserting and turning the key to igition..., but the orange stay lit after that process. the odd thing is that when i start the car - the lite isnt on. and the funny thing is i noticed this this afternoon when i had the trunk open playing music that the orange check engine indicator was on. i started the car and it wasnt on. i forget about it for a while and i turn the key in to aux to see if the icon is still there and its gone this time.... im like uhhh...

so im heading back home i check to see if it stays on before starting the whip this last time before i leave the car and its back on again. but doesnt lite up when i stat the car.

now im thinking if this is a real issue...shouldnt the indicator stay on even after i start the car? if there is a issue here? one time when i checked and my oil icon was lit too, but only one time and not every time. i just assumed it was cause i did a oil change a couple days ago- maybe? but i aint leaking noting and i checked everything a bunch of times then and after i saw the icon lite up- bone dry and clean everywhere...

im puzzled...:confused:

Robert Palmer 07-05-2010 02:44 AM

Re: Indicator lite on, but turns off upon starting up??

What has been the case with my SRT, if you leave the key at the on position, the CEL and Oil light will stay illuminated after the light test and once you start it, it disappears.

Hmmmm.

SRTILL8 07-05-2010 08:51 AM

what mileage did it start on your SRT8 joe?

this is weird, and i dont want to particularly want to bring it into the STEALERSHIP for something that isnt "on" all the time. i trust my dealership on my WJ and ZJs in the past but i dont think they go through too many SRT8s for me to feel comfortable leaving it there for them to play with (aka mess something up along the way) - hell they had trouble getting me my SRT8 so i had to go through a different jeep dealership to get mine back in december.

this is weird. when i go to scoop up the car later on, lets see if the indicator comes on again.

so far ive checked like 6 times yesterday only 4 times did the lite come on. the other two times it was like brand new.

hmmm.

robpp 07-05-2010 09:04 AM

i THINK when it blinks there is a cel, when it stays on after a few seconds it has a Stored cel that is not active.....

SRTILL8 07-05-2010 09:07 AM

so what do you fellas think i should do? or check? or etc...

cheers-

robpp 07-05-2010 09:46 AM

you got any way to read codes? predator or something?

robpp 07-05-2010 09:48 AM

i also found this another *********

That is normal. This is actually a good way to see if the system is in the "ready" state if you disconnect your battery to clear a code.

If you turn the key to "On", the CEL will blink several times. If the light goes out, or stays solid, the system is "Ready". In other words, it has completed a "Drive Cycle" and can be tested for Emmisions etc. If the light continues to blink, the system is "Not Ready", and must complete the "Drive Cycle".

SRTILL8 07-05-2010 10:39 AM

thanks for the info rob. nice bro, so this is cause i disconnected my neg battery terminal a couple days ago then right? cause i did so to put on my CAI.

makes sense to me.

also joe- didnt yours start appearing around the same time you did yours some time ago?

Robert Palmer 07-05-2010 05:48 PM

Yeah I know about the light test, but you were speaking about it staying solidly illuminated after it does the light test. Which mine always does. LOL

SRTILL8 07-05-2010 06:01 PM

maybe i misread what rob delivered but my icon stays on until i start it.

i thought i emphasized the point past the initial aux lite up stage upon inserting the key fob. not talking about all indicators that lighting up in the beginning. im talking about it all turning off where theres only a seat belt icon showing...right before i start the car. the icon doesnt come on when i turn the ignition.

SRTILL8 07-05-2010 06:11 PM

oh and i was going thru my digi- and ran into this option that i never seen in my options line up...

i went to look for it today and it wasnt there. i snapped the pic after i started seeing the lite on before i started the car...

hmmm.. prolly nothing but i dunno..

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...p/31311cf7.jpg

PinkJeepGirl 07-15-2010 04:40 AM

Do you leave your jeep on while you fuel up? sometimes this trips the check engine light. Had and 97 Cherokee that keep tripping lights. Took it to advance auto, they ran it on the scanner and nothing came up, but its a known problem with all vehicles.