Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   CAUTION!! WK factory Roof Racks (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/caution-wk-factory-roof-racks-10832.html)

BobSgt 07-05-2010 04:34 PM

CAUTION!! WK factory Roof Racks

When carrying two longboards on surf racks attached to the factory roof rack, I had the factory roof rack pull the expansion bolt right through the roof. I was traveling on the NJ Garden State Parkway at 65 MPH.

I have carried surfboards for years and never had this type of problem with any of my Fords. This is my first Jeep.

It seems that the factory bolts are not reinforced with any washers or additional metal. This is a major design flaw as the same thing can happen with any broad piece of equipment carried on the roof (Kayak, Canoe, Storage pod).

Fortunately no one was behind me, so there were no injuries. Had my surfboards gone through someones windshield there could have been a deadly accident.

I now reinforce for safety with web strapping through the vehicle passenger compartment, just in case and since I have no confidence that the dealer actually reinforced anything.

Chrysler repaired it under warranty. The dealer said they reinforced both sides with washers (at my request). I have since registered this with the federal government site that determines if there should be a recall. Especially important because the dealership couldn't have given a damn.

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-05-2010 04:38 PM

Re: CAUTION!! WK factory Roof Racks

good to know, but i always use extra tie downs on cargo and travel at slower speeds when i have stuff on the roof.

SoCalMoparWK 07-05-2010 05:10 PM

Its a good thing I don't carry anything, lol

White Chocolate 07-05-2010 05:26 PM

LOL, wow! good to know

robpp 07-05-2010 06:47 PM

thanks for the post.

i had one of the threaded things spin on me when i put on the srt roof rack deletes. you can see that there is nothing holding it but the sheet metal.

Fireman310pt 07-05-2010 06:57 PM

That's a good thing to know! It's definitely best to use extra tie down straps, etc...

robpp 07-05-2010 07:05 PM

stickied this......

Scottina06 07-05-2010 07:14 PM

I have one of mine messed up as well

09RiverRock 07-05-2010 07:47 PM

Did you happen to take any pics of the damage? It might help out in the future if there is another incident. I'm almost scared to put anything up top now!

lineman 07-05-2010 07:59 PM

thanks for looking out bro and taking the initiative to take this to the government for a possible recall

Scottina06 07-05-2010 08:04 PM

I dont have any pics of mine....I had the roof vinyled and it covered up the hole. I will have to have it fixed sometime though

NHWK05 07-07-2010 08:53 PM

I am so glad i read this. I frequently have 2 kayaks on my rood. From now on i will make sure to use front and back straps on them as well.

Can you go in to detail about how to reinforce these? Any pics or how to?