Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Quadra trac I or Quadra trac II (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/quadra-trac-i-or-quadra-trac-ii-11037.html)

skinny 07-13-2010 05:22 PM

Quadra trac I or Quadra trac II

Placing my order tomorrow for a Laredo X package. According to the package it comes standard with Quarda trac I but you can add the off-road adventure package and get Quadra trac II and other off road goodies for around $900. Since I don't plan on taking this offroad and only driving in snow should I stick with the Quadra trac I or do the upgrade? I know most will say upgrade which is cool, but can someone explain to me the difference and benefits one over the other?

robpp 07-13-2010 05:30 PM

Re: Quadra trac I or Quadra trac II

i know in the wk, the diff was a low speed transfer case from QT1 to QT2. then they had QD2 in the limiteds that added electric limited slip diffws.

Marlin 07-13-2010 05:42 PM

I'd go the option, even if just for resale, as it may appeal to more people if its proper off orad capable when you go to sell it.

Then again, our Aussie market is quite different to yours. :)

skinny 07-13-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 234753)
i know in the wk, the diff was a low speed transfer case from QT1 to QT2. then they had QD2 in the limiteds that added electric limited slip diffws.

My 07 Laredo had QT2 with low speed but have never had to use it. I don't want to be one of those people in a Jeep that gets stuck in the snow:eek: That's my only concern about the QT1.

Scottina06 07-13-2010 07:01 PM

get the QT2

Knightrider03m 07-14-2010 06:28 PM

Get the QT2. You may need the low gear if you end up in very deep snow. Unlikely but it can still happen.

White Chocolate 07-14-2010 07:35 PM

Get the QT2

nek121328 07-14-2010 09:40 PM

Ditto on the QT2, have used Low Range for towing logs and rocks as well as in low traction places. Makes the GC into a high class skiddah!

MSCA 07-15-2010 12:19 PM

Yeah, I agree with everyone else. Definitely consider that the low gear may come in handy when you least expect it, for a variety of different reasons.

Also, I remember reading a post a while back where a guy decided to do a somewhat mild offroad trip with some of his buddies. He was the only one who didn't have low gear and he ended up overheating on several occasions.

barho 07-15-2010 02:08 PM

I have the QTII in my o8 Laredo, but still managed to get stuck during this past years crazy winter, in my driveway no less!!!

Basically, my drive is long and when you turn the corner halfway down the drive it opens up. I didn't realize I had a 3' drift over sections of my driveway as everything was white! Snow was a bit wet and packed up right under the GC. Got stuck, put it in Low.....nothing. Took me 2 hours to dig myself out. Snow was packed in uderneath like concrete. :eek:

skinny 07-15-2010 04:34 PM

I decided to go with QT II. Now just waiting for pricing to come back on line at the dealer.

nek121328 07-15-2010 06:10 PM

The nice thing about 4 Low is you can get stuck deeper in problem areas, especially with street tires.