Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Off road help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/off-road-help-11079.html)

JeepKid 07-14-2010 10:45 PM

Off road help

Whats up fellas have a question for the lifted jeeps on here.

I was going to try and go for the SRT look on my Jeep but after attempting some local dirt trails ive decided that i may want a lift instead. I'm new to this whole no pavement deal so what kinda lift would you guys recommend? I'm looking for something subtle around 2 inches. I'm still not 100% sure about this just trying to weigh my options. Thanks in advance.

RedRocker 07-14-2010 10:55 PM

Re: Off road help

Do it once, do it right - 4" Superlift or BDS. You'll save money in the long run rather than going 2" and then wishing you had more lift.

maxst2 07-14-2010 10:59 PM

Whatca looking for a budget? Personally OME is going to be my pick simply due to you get longer springs and shocks.. not getting a chunk of plastic under your stock system. In the end you should get longer shocks made for a lift... usually OME ones as they are from what I have read the best 2inch lift shocks around.

JeepKid 07-14-2010 11:03 PM

So my Bilsteins would have to be replaced if i take this route? Sorry for the noob questions lol RedRocker 4" is a little high for me.

Scottina06 07-14-2010 11:04 PM

do it right and get atleast a jeep with the QT2. The 3.7 with the qt1 is not a 4x4

JeepKid 07-14-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 235562)
do it right and get atleast a jeep with the QT2. The 3.7 with the qt1 is not a 4x4

A trade in is far out of the question at this point in my life lol.

maxst2 07-14-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocker (Post 235558)
Do it once, do it right - 4" Superlift or BDS. You'll save money in the long run rather than going 2" and then wishing you had more lift.

That is how i pretty much looked at it. If im going to lift it.. i might as well go all the way and get some pimp rims and tires to go with it.

JeepKid 07-14-2010 11:23 PM

So . . . Will the Bilsteins be going or staying?

White Chocolate 07-15-2010 12:54 AM

How about the SRT look, LIFTED....bad asss!!

RedRocker 07-15-2010 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 235562)

Good point Scott. I retract my previous statement - go with a budget boost and know that you'll never have a decent trail machine. I'd suggest going the SRT route. (For my tastes) a V6 is going to have problems spinning larger tires and QTI is only useful for snow/rain traction.

05WKinPA 07-15-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocker (Post 235675)
Good point Scott. I retract my previous statement - go with a budget boost and know that you'll never have a decent trail machine. I'd suggest going the SRT route. (For my tastes) a V6 is going to have problems spinning larger tires and QTI is only useful for snow/rain traction.

RedRocker, let me start off by saying I know you have way more off road experience than I do, and I agree there are definitely limits to what QT1 can do, but don't sell the system completely short.

I've been in situations where I didn't think I had a prayer with QT1, but made it through with a little work. Check out this video of Creepin_Jeeper tackling some pretty difficult terrain with QT1 without much effort. Granted, it's not Moab, but it's also not the mall parking lot....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qBHchcIKAc

JeepKid....the BDS or Superlift kit might be overkill for QT1, but the OME lift would be perfect. I'm turning 32"s, 20,000 miles per year, without a problem. You lift your WK and I will gaurantee you that you'll be suprised at what your Jeep is capable of.

Work with what you've got. Lift it, have fun.... just because you might find the limits of your Jeep faster than the QTII and QDII guys, doesn't mean you should relegate yourself to dirt roads and mall parking lots.

Rant off.

RedRocker 07-15-2010 11:31 AM

I still say don't even bother modding a V6 with QT1 - especially since the OP lives in Wyoming where the mile high elevation saps what little grunt the V6 has.

I used to have a 4.0L ZJ. I started with a 3" lift and 31" tires. Then went to a 5" lift and 32" tires. Then a long arm suspension, 33" tires, all the necessary armor and added lockers front and rear and a winch. Then I tried to find a silver bullet to get back some of the power I lost with all those mods. I finally realized I should have started with a V8.

Here in the west where there are so many cool places you can go in a well-equipped Jeep (at least until the eco-weenies shut off all our access). The more equipped your Jeep is, the more places you can go.