Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Any advice on a noisy rear suspension ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/any-advice-on-a-noisy-rear-suspension-11134.html)

attilahooper 07-17-2010 12:37 PM

Any advice on a noisy rear suspension ?

Got my front-end fixed up. Now I'm going after the rear, darn thing makes a lot of noise. Not quite a clunk, more of a clatter. Even small bumps make the rear suspension rattle, so I'm pretty sure it's not bumpstop related. And everything looks pretty much in place back there.

I've got 2 years on eibachs, bilsteins and addcos. As far as I recall it made noise from pretty much the beginning. Just getting around to fixing all the nuisances on the vehicle, since my wife ~hates~ to go even a day without her toy. She loves her WK.

I recall seeing a thread on one of the Jeep forums on rattling rear suspension. Perhaps it was the shock mounts/washers or something. Damn I shoulda bookmarked it.

So, before I get jacked (and shvetty) I'd appreciate any comments or advice you folks have happened upon. Thx in advance.

maxst2 07-17-2010 12:49 PM

Re: Any advice on a noisy rear suspension ?

I say the addco's are the problem. I remember reading that they tend to be abit noisy. They have grease zerks on them?

attilahooper 07-17-2010 12:54 PM

Don't have the car in front of me, but yeah, I do recall greasing them last year. This is more of a clattering noise, metal on metal. I'll double check the bar mounts and links.

robpp 07-17-2010 02:46 PM

there is TSBs out for the rear spring isolators but they are clalling the sound SQUEAKING

here is a link: http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_0200307.pdf

maxst2 07-17-2010 04:08 PM

lol robpp, I just went over those from the other thread I mentioned that it might be a TSB item.

attilahooper 07-17-2010 04:56 PM

Just came back from the grocery store, making an enormous pot of hungarian stuffed cabbage :sleepy: and I needed some more sauerkraut. Of course I took the Jeep :D Now that the front springs are done I'm doing some testing ;) or so I told the wife.

Anyway, I tend to hear the clunk when the rear bar is in action, i.e. pothole on one side. When I take a little jounce over something like a speed bump I don't hear it. Hrmmmmm. Rear bar huh ?

Thx for the TSB on the isolators rob. I swear I am on a mission to make this chassis squeak-free.

attilahooper 07-18-2010 11:23 AM

Problem solved. Very loose driver side rear bar endlink. Damn thing was backed-out maybe 2 turns or more. Had to pull out the torch and cherry the nut carefully, it was so seized, and inches from the gas tank :eek:

I proclaim the wife's WK squawk free ! :) But it needs rotors bad. :(

Also noticed coolant stains around the pressure cap. Been trying to figure out why the reservoir goes dry on rare occasions. I feel like this :slapfight:tangling with this car.

EDIT: oh yeah, and the cabbage rolls came out awesome too.

robpp 07-18-2010 11:35 AM

the oem rad caps suck. you can try to mess with the tabs a little to make it more secure. or invest 12 bucks and get a stant pressure relief cap in 18 lbs. also, the hose that runs from overflow res to rad. it is only slip fit on the rad side.....add a ty-wrap or small clamp on that too.

check rockauto for rotors. they got them from mild to wild and usually very good prices.

my jeep sprayed that coolant one time.....changed the cap and not ever again. to see what i am talking about, WHEN THE JEEP IS COLD, put a towel or pan underneath cap area and remove the cap. a bit may spill but not a ton. anyway, just like jiggle the cap around. if they paid more than 15 cents purchasing agent shud be shot. anyway, make that better and the spray will go away ...

attilahooper 07-18-2010 12:20 PM

Stant 18 lbs, ziptie overflo hose. Got it ! Thx.

Yeah, I bought a pair of Centrics for the front last year, dolled em up with POR-20 hi temp black to keep em from rusting. Now where in da hell did I put those ? lolz..... Figured I would run the orig one more winter season in Canada.