Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   P1281 04 wj (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/p1281-04-wj-11145.html)

mrjaydeeone 07-17-2010 05:33 PM

P1281 04 wj - resolved

Driving home from work this AM my CEL came on. Before getting to check it I also noticed the engine temp wasn't where it normally was. It was lower, but made it's way up to normal, and then dropped, and after some driving made its way back up again. I got home and checked the code and it's P1281. I searched the code and see I need a new thermostat.
Quote:

In most cases, a P1281 fault code like the one that caused this CEL (Check Engine Light) to come on; means that the thermostat is either stuck open, or that it has simply fallen apart. In either case it is no longer capable of closing and it cannot stop the flow of anti-freeze throughout the cooling system. This keeps the engine from reaching the normal temperature range within the expected time-frame. When the optimal range is not obtained, the fuel mixture will be too rich, the fuel doesnít burn as well and catalytic converters arenít as efficient. Other things can even be affected like the transmission shift points. Shift points may take longer to reach, making the engine wind out more to warm it up sooner.
How soon should I get this taken care of? My work schedule is hectic over the next 2 weeks. I have either Monday or not until next Wednesday.

Jason

mrjaydeeone 07-20-2010 05:48 PM

Re: P1281 04 wj

Yesterday AM I started my Jeep and CEL was still on. Went to my dads before going to mechanic, and when I started the Jeep afterwards, the CEL was off. But engine temp still didn't seem right. I went to local dealership to purchase thermostatm, and they had none in stock. Person at parts desk said an aftermarket one will be just fine. Anyways went to my mechanic swapped the thermostat and jeep has been fine since.

mrjaydeeone 07-30-2010 06:30 PM

CEL came back on today. Same code. Gonna get an OEM thermostat and try this again

mrjaydeeone 07-31-2010 05:57 PM

cleared the code out before, and within 10 miles it was back

straty1987 07-31-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjaydeeone (Post 245094)
cleared the code out before, and within 10 miles it was back

what code are you getting?

mrjaydeeone 08-01-2010 05:34 PM

I actually thought it was the same one. So didn't check, but checked again this AM and it was P0051. O2 sensor Bank 2, sensor 1. I replaced that one like 3 months ago. I know the thermostat is still an issue as the engine temp isn't going high enough. But now I am trying to figure out why the 02 sensor needs to be replaced again. I cleared it this AM again, and when I started up this afternoon, CEL on, code P0051 again.

mrjaydeeone 08-12-2010 01:26 AM

well had mechanic install OEM Tstat today and that problem is solved. Engine temp is now where it needs to be. On to the 02 sensors. I was mistaken, the code I was throwing was P0031 Bank 1 Sensor 1. That is no longer the case. This AM before I started the jeep I checked the code and its P0051 Bank 2 Sensor 1. Mechanic didn't think the sensor should need to be replaced again. Each time the code was cleared out immediately up start up it came back. Mechanic started testing and came up with no resistance at the resistor. He didn't have enough time today. Said to bring it back he will need atleast half a day to test wires coming out of the ECU. He told me also to just keep driving it and maybe it will straighten itself out on it's own.
Anyone have any insight?

Unholyskorn86 08-14-2010 12:51 PM

That is EXACTLY what happened to my sisters 2001 WJ. It basically is telling you the thermostat is stuck open and not letting the engine get to proper temp for best performance because the cooled fluid from the radiator is flowing into the engine constantly. Replacing the thermostat is the answer and should not have cost you too much. As for the o2...did he install some the first time? Maybe your originals went bad, he replaced them with the wrong or crappy aftermarket o2 sensor and it blew itself...ask him to try again with the NGK or whatever is made for the truck? I have no idea what else it could be. Good luck bro keep us informed.

Chaoul1 08-14-2010 12:52 PM

Just get it fixed. It doesn't cost much. It's Only a T-stat. Fix it soon. Don't wait long.

Unholyskorn86 08-14-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjaydeeone (Post 250674)
well had mechanic install OEM Tstat today and that problem is solved. Engine temp is now where it needs to be.
Anyone have any insight?

The T-stat was already done i think he is saying. It's the o2 sensor error I think he is asking about...

mrjaydeeone 08-17-2010 07:19 AM

cliffs. Tstat was replaced with aftermarket it was no good apparently. Replaced with OEM and that's all good.
But I am now with P0051 code. 02 sensor bank 2 sensor 1, this had been replaced less then 3 months ago with OEM sensor. Mechanic said there is no resistance at the sensor when he tested it. He said he has to check out wiring now.
Just looking to see if anyone has ideas on this new issue