Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Just a random thought (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/just-a-random-thought-11254.html)

NHWK05 07-21-2010 09:10 AM

Just a random thought

I know in the past people have always raved not to buy a new vehicle the within the first year off the assembly line. Mostly because they have never had real world testing and manufacturers need to work out glitches ans flaws.

Especially now that there are option delays that everyone that jumped the gun and ordered one already and now is pissed that their new jeep wont have some options.

I already broke this rule by buying a first year wk, not brand new but that does not mean it does not possibly have first production year issues.

What is your opinion on this theory for the WK2? Or is it officially the WL?

Scottina06 07-21-2010 09:42 AM

Its not the wl......its the 2011 wk. Jg and milous call it the wk2 to differentiate it from the 05-10 wk.
With this vehicle and the quality changes and time it was in development......I doubt you will have the problems of 5 years ago. Its t totally different attitude now at jeep....totally new manufacturing facility and process that focuses on quality.

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk

NHWK05 07-21-2010 09:55 AM

Re: Just a random thought

Cool, i just wanted to get opinions from people. I wont be able to buy one until mine is paid off in 4 years so it will most likely be due for the 5th generation buy that time. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this mentality. I am glad to hear that Jeep has become such a stand up brand of the chrysler product line much like the new Ram trucks. If only their other vehicles mainly cars could match up to the competitors.

Scottina06 07-21-2010 09:57 AM

Yeah....I think company wide you will see achange....

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk

whatevrworks 07-21-2010 10:08 AM

I think there should be a lot fewer problems since they did so much testing before release. My one question is about the second shift at the plant that I guess started on the 19th.

I dont know a whole lot about car assembly operations but in other production facilities there are always some "startup pains" associated with new employees and a new shift. Especially on a new vehicle that they have not built before. Granted, many of these employees are probably experienced and have built jeeps in the past but I wonder if the first few cars rolling off the line from the second shift will have more problems than cars that have been coming off the first shift that has been building them for two months.

Obviously they will be trained before beginning work on the line but until you have actually done something training only goes so far.

Anyone know whether the Jefferson North plant shut down for the two weeks this summer or was that just other Chrysler plants?

MSCA 07-21-2010 12:36 PM

Forget Jeep....I follow the "don't buy a first year vehicle" rule for ANY make/model, even the most reliable brand imaginable. There will always be more issues on a first year car...history has proven that again and again. Even my current ride (4Runner) had a few issues during the first model year of the generation and then had virtually NONE for the next 6 years. I purchased mine in the second year and it has been absolutely flawless since I've been driving it.

I always recommend to anyone that they should not buy a first year vehicle. My reasons are two-fold: 1- you can avoid early issues and, 2- you can usually negotiate a better price because the dealers usually have plenty in stock by the time the second year rolls around.

NHWK05 07-21-2010 05:10 PM

Dont buy a car built on a friday or monday!

MSCA thats a very valid point, the price usually drops once the OMG I GOTTA HAVE THE FIRST ONE phase wears off.

ilirdino 07-27-2010 09:56 AM

This is only remotely related, but does anyone else feel that generally, in the past, Jeep has built incredibly reliable vehicles? There were only a handful of problems with my father's '99 WJ and the stealership took care of it all. I know that 1st gen production flaws are a concern and I definitely believe in delaying gratification a little bit to avoid those potential issues, but I think that they are becoming increasingly less of a concern given the pressure on american automakers to meet certain standards of quality.

my 2 cents :)

jeepster23 07-27-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilirdino (Post 242284)
This is only remotely related, but does anyone else feel that generally, in the past, Jeep has built incredibly reliable vehicles? There were only a handful of problems with my father's '99 WJ and the stealership took care of it all. I know that 1st gen production flaws are a concern and I definitely believe in delaying gratification a little bit to avoid those potential issues, but I think that they are becoming increasingly less of a concern given the pressure on american automakers to meet certain standards of quality.

my 2 cents :)

I cant disagree more! Jeep has a reputation as building an incredibly unreliable vehicle in the past. However, I do feel that with all that Jeep has riding on the new WK2 an emphasis has been placed on build quality, quality of parts used, and the overall reliability of future Jeeps.

jeepnjeep 07-27-2010 10:29 AM

Well by my experience, it's not an issue any more. I bought a first year 1993 ZJ. Had very few problems that were taken care of at the dealer. Bought my 2005 WK and so far it's been fine except for the starter going bad at under 49,000 miles. Now 2 vehicles hardly makes an extensive report base, but to me, Jeeps are very well built and reliable.

whatevrworks 07-27-2010 11:56 AM

I must be lucky:

1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited (Straight 6 4.0L)- 190K when sold still running great

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Straight 6 4.0L) - Currently about 120,000 drive 68 miles to work every day.

2006 Commander Limited (4.7 v8) 43K miles on it no problems.

Maybe just luck but could be how I maintain. Run Mobil 1 synthetic always and maintain by the book or better. Do all my own work on the vehicles better than stealership, unless covered under warranty. Biggest hassle with m vehicles has been the recalls that come with every vehicle especially within the first year on past jeeps.

But overall has been a reliable bunch of vehicles for me

jeepster23 07-27-2010 12:27 PM

I guess you guys have been lucky then but like I said the majority still feel reliability was an issue. Here is a recent excerpt from JD Powers.

"Several of Chrysler's key models — Chrysler Sebring, Jeep Liberty, and Grand Cherokee — score at or near the bottom of each category. All three brands also score well below average on Power's Vehicle Dependability Study, which measures how reliable vehicles are over three years of ownership."