Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Question about tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/question-about-tires-11259.html)

Asativa 07-21-2010 12:14 PM

Question about tires
 
so i bought a set of rims off craigslist with tires on em and the tires suck! i looked at em carefully before i bought em, and they looked good, but they vibrate like crazy at 70 and up, had em balanced(w roadforce) and its still there, so i know must be the tires are cupped or just f*ct! anyways i know the proper size on 20s is 275/45/20, but since i have no cash i gotta buy used again. on craigslist a guy is selling his used 265/50 R20 nittos. do any of you know if this will work on 20x9 wheels on my 05 limited? it sux i gotta go back on craigslist, but i got no cash for new tires fml..

thanks,
andy

Scottina06 07-21-2010 12:22 PM

Re: Question about tires
 
andy...what are you lookin to spend?

try the tire calculater here on the site and it will let you know the difference in the speedo and diameter

Asativa 07-21-2010 12:30 PM

Re: Question about tires
 
scott i dont have much $ so (prepare to laugh) i only got like $150 for tires that will last me at least 20k with no shakes or bullshit. i know im cheap as shit, but got too much other stuff going on. i was tempted to put my stocks back on, and post the rims and tires back on craigslist, but i dont want to be a cockroach and screw someone else over, plus i love the wheels on my car!

dmsfun 07-21-2010 12:45 PM

Re: Question about tires
 
I would find another place to get them balanced that has the proper hub adapter. This is almost certainly a balance issue, not a bad tire issue. Just take it to the Jeep dealer and they can do it.

Scottina06 07-21-2010 12:55 PM

Re: Question about tires
 
yeah...and I would think they would have seen any tire issues.

Asativa 07-21-2010 01:45 PM

Re: Question about tires
 
uggh ive already taken it back to the tire shop twice, both times i saw all the wheels balance to zero on the machine, but they still shake. neither me or the tech doing it saw a prob w the tires, but thats what theyre saying now. the guys at the shop i manage also think its a tire issue because of the faith we normally put into this tire shop(we sublet all our tire/alignment work there). im trying to figure out if i should give a dealer a try to the tune of $75 or just buy used tires for $150, im soo strapped for cash its not even funny!! thanks guys

Scottina06 07-21-2010 03:20 PM

Re: Question about tires
 
yeah I hear ya! I bought some new tires for a 3000GT a couple years ago and they were out of round...BRAND NEW! I had to wait for a new set and have them installed. Ebay may be aa good source for a cheap set to get you buy.

kevin06vino 07-22-2010 10:01 AM

Re: Question about tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asativa (Post 239331)
uggh ive already taken it back to the tire shop twice, both times i saw all the wheels balance to zero on the machine, but they still shake. neither me or the tech doing it saw a prob w the tires, but thats what theyre saying now. the guys at the shop i manage also think its a tire issue because of the faith we normally put into this tire shop(we sublet all our tire/alignment work there). im trying to figure out if i should give a dealer a try to the tune of $75 or just buy used tires for $150, im soo strapped for cash its not even funny!! thanks guys

Have you checked the wheel hub centerbore? I put rims on an Audi A6 and they shook like mad, I balanced the new tires and new rims multiple times. Ended up being the wheel was mounted lug-centric instead of hub-centric.

Most major tire shops have an assortment of these poly/plastic rings for standard hubs diameters to fit most vehicles. IIRC they were like $15-20 for the set of four.

Asativa 07-22-2010 09:09 PM

Re: Question about tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin06vino (Post 239764)
Have you checked the wheel hub centerbore? I put rims on an Audi A6 and they shook like mad, I balanced the new tires and new rims multiple times. Ended up being the wheel was mounted lug-centric instead of hub-centric.

Most major tire shops have an assortment of these poly/plastic rings for standard hubs diameters to fit most vehicles. IIRC they were like $15-20 for the set of four.

holy shit bro, i didnt even think about that!! ive always used the hubcentric rings on all my cars, didnt even cross my mind till u mentioned it! ima order a set and man i bet thats it! will post results....u sir, are the man!

andy

kevin06vino 07-22-2010 09:11 PM

Re: Question about tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asativa (Post 240077)
holy shit bro, i didnt even think about that!! ive always used the hubcentric rings on all my cars, didnt even cross my mind till u mentioned it! ima order a set and man i bet thats it! will post results....u sir, are the man!

andy


Good luck and let us know how it turns out

Asativa 07-26-2010 12:36 PM

Re: Question about tires
 
kevin u are the man! long story short, my hubcentric rings were an oddball size, so i used extended thread lugs, and noticed a HUGE DIFFERENCE. but the tires are still really really loud so im getting new goodyear eagle gt 2s as mentioned in my other thread. thanks again for ur help!

andy

kevin06vino 07-26-2010 02:34 PM

Re: Question about tires
 
Excellent, glad you were able to get it squared away.

Enjoy the GT2s!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community