Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   What size spacers for staggered Viper reps?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/what-size-spacers-for-staggered-viper-reps-11264.html)

HemiDawg 07-21-2010 01:53 PM

What size spacers for staggered Viper reps??

Wife was driving the GC yesterday, I was following in the X5. I have known since I installed the Viper reps that the fronts stick out just a little more than the rears, but I really did not notice it much until following her yesterday. We have 9" wide up front and 10's in the rear.

Has anyone else used spacers on a similar setup and if so, what width did you use?? Any recommendation on suppliers would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

robpp 07-21-2010 03:07 PM

Re: What size spacers for staggered Viper reps??

i have had 4 20x9 vipers on my wk since last year. my fronts and rears are perecctly lined up......

HemiDawg 07-24-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 239365)
i have had 4 20x9 vipers on my wk since last year. my fronts and rears are perecctly lined up......

Great!! But that doesn't help me because I don't have 9's all around...

Chaoul1 07-24-2010 10:09 PM

Ok. They are staggered. Did you make sure the shop put the correct tires on the correct wheels? Like putting the wider tires on the 10" wheel and skinnier tires on the skinny wheels? What if they got it backwards? What if they put the skinny tires on the 10" wheels and the wider tires on the 9" wheels?

Just a thought?

Robert Palmer 07-24-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemidawg (Post 240973)
great!! But that doesn't help me because i don't have 9's all around...

lol.

robpp 07-24-2010 11:35 PM

point was maybe you should have bought 4- 20 x 9 then you wouldnt have that problem.....

Scottina06 07-24-2010 11:42 PM

maybe the spacers in the front are too large? or add a small spacer to the rear?

HemiDawg 07-25-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 240992)
Ok. They are staggered. Did you make sure the shop put the correct tires on the correct wheels? Like putting the wider tires on the 10" wheel and skinnier tires on the skinny wheels? What if they got it backwards? What if they put the skinny tires on the 10" wheels and the wider tires on the 9" wheels?

Just a thought?

I used the same size tire front and rear so they are not swapped, but to your point, the tires might stick out more on the 9's than they do on the 10's so that might be the difference. When I got the OK to use the same size tire, we were more worried with the rolling diameter than we were the width. So I guess my option now is to still add spacers on the rear or to use a larger tire on the rear when they need replacing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 241031)
point was maybe you should have bought 4- 20 x 9 then you wouldnt have that problem.....

Point taken, but I wanted a staggered setup - I have one on my X5 right now and love it. It gives you more stability and better handling. I don't want to change my wheel setup, that is why I was asking about adding spacers. This is not a big issue, was just looking for some spacer input since I have never used them before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 241034)
maybe the spacers in the front are too large? or add a small spacer to the rear?

Don't have spacers yet - was trying to see if someone already had this setup in place and what size spacers they used on the rear.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Scottina06 07-25-2010 03:20 PM

well....you explained the problem. Same size tires all around are the problem. You need staggered tires in the rear to get the look you want.

HemiDawg 07-29-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 241249)
well....you explained the problem. Same size tires all around are the problem. You need staggered tires in the rear to get the look you want.

Or spacers :D

robpp 07-29-2010 11:53 AM

bro, i had some front caliper issues with another wheel.

i bought some 1/8 th machine steel spacers. these are from UB Machine and are made for nascar. i paid like 60 for the 4 of them.

i dont use them anymore. I could part with 2 of them for say 20 bux shipped. i know there are cheaper options, i thought these would be safer. i had no thread issues with the lugs with this size. still plenty to hold the wheel on. let me know.

HemiDawg 07-29-2010 03:24 PM

I appreciate the offer. I am going to have to figure out (measure) to see what size I need to order. I'll let you know.