Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Test drove V-6 today - Not excited (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/test-drove-v-6-today-not-excited-11339.html)

nosmoke 07-24-2010 12:35 PM

Test drove V-6 today - Not excited

Test drove well-equipped Laredo today. I loved the radio, the rear legroom, the cargo room, and the overall feel. However, I was not at all pleased with the pickup of the V-6. Now, I'm currently driving a WRX, so maybe that's the problem, but I hope the V-8 is much better, or I'm going to have to wait until the SRT8 comes out next summer.

drdobsg 07-24-2010 12:46 PM

Re: Test drove V-6 today - Not excited

My wife made the same comment about the V6. I personally didn't think it was so bad. I am used to the V6 in the '04 Grand Cherokee, where she is used to her C240. It is a big improvement over the previous Jeep motors, but not quite as good as a decently equipped car. We drove the Hemi and that was much better as far as pickup. But the average gas mileage on the test car's computer read around 8 MPG.

Technosavant 07-24-2010 01:23 PM

Coming out of a Patriot, the V6 felt sprightly. It sure isn't as quick quick as my wife's 2006 Acura TL, but Car and Driver list the Pentastar equipped Laredo at 0-60 in 8.4 seconds, which is quite acceptable for most purposes. Not "fast," but neither will it have a problem getting out of its own way.

Comparing the two, the Hemi just didn't feel much quicker- not that it wouldn't be better in the hills or passing on highways, but inital get up and go is very similar.

A person just has to ask if they're willing to take the MPG hit (a little over 10%) and if it's worth about $1500 at purchase time. Not to mention maintenance costs- it is going to be cheaper to service the Pentastar- much easier to get around in that engine bay.

Marlon_JB2 07-24-2010 01:28 PM

8.4 Seconds? That's about 2 seconds over the 3.7L in the WK.

Much improved!

TheNotoriousROB 07-24-2010 01:31 PM

Just drove a Limited with a HEMI today. Loved the engine, it was a quiet ride, but when you push the gas you definitely hear the engine growl. The guy let me floor it a little up and down the highway outside of Denver and it had incredible pickup, compared to my wimpy 235 hp V8. I loved it.
Two things I'll have to get used to, and I realize this is really nitpicking here. The mirrors are so much larger than the mirrors on my WJ... it felt really weird driving it, but I realize you get used to certain things as time passes. I just felt like a lot of peripheral vision is lost, but I guess bigger mirrors is a plus in the long run. The other thing was that the info center in between tach and speedo is so wide that it's difficult to see the speedometer through the steering wheel. You kind of need to lean a little left and look through to see your speed. Who knows, maybe it's the way the steering wheel was positioned, so maybe I'll be able to adjust a little more when mine comes in.
Loved the USB plug below the nav screen. Loved the ipod interface in the console box lower dash. Not a fan of the 12v plug inside the console. I like my current config where I have two plugs easily accessible right on the dash. I do like the plug in the center arm console though, as well as the ac plug in back. It's handy having the 3 plugs, I just liked the neatness of a plug on the dash so my valentine1 can plug in and not stretch all the way deep in the box. Curious about the guy who said the usb and ipod interfaces disappear on the overland, wasn't informed of that today either.
I also loved the frost beige with black floor carpeting, looks sharp. The rear seats are much more comfortable than the WJ and WK IMO, and feel a lot better than they look in pictures. Def. going with the pano roof as well, it really opens it up and lets the light in. Would love to see an Overland in person, so when the dealer gets one in I'll test 'er out.

nosmoke 07-24-2010 01:48 PM

Does anyone know if you (or your wife in the driver's seat) can use the NAV system while you're moving?

jeepnjeep 07-24-2010 02:10 PM

I wasn't too impressed by the V6 either. Better than the current one but to me, the Hemi is a necessity now.

jeepster23 07-24-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosmoke (Post 240870)
Does anyone know if you (or your wife in the driver's seat) can use the NAV system while you're moving?

No you cant unless you get the Lockpic mod.

robpp 07-24-2010 03:01 PM

the foot operated parking brake........wtf.........whats old is new again :lol:

its funny I went to a dealer on arapahoe road a bit ago to get some trnafer casr fluid.......they must have aton of WKs becuase the only WK2 they had up front, a BB Laredo, was under a tent. i went to look at it. it was bare bones. back to what was sio funny to me.....was they werent even hyping it or anything. there were at least 6 salesman standing around. put on a show. at least show the thing off. its like they were hiding it so they could clear inventory. meatheads

whatevrworks 07-24-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 240890)
its like they were hiding it so they could clear inventory. meatheads

This is my experience here too. As I said in my order/test drive experience post, most dealers I went to before ordering one didn't even want to order one for me or discus a price. They were pushing, HARD, to get rid of the 2010. Talking about incentives and basically doing everything they could to steer me away from the wk2.

Marlon_JB2 07-24-2010 05:06 PM

Typical dealerships. They don't want to hold on to the 2010s any longer, when the 2011 is available. They don't have the $$ to buy the 2011s, nor the credit, so the 2010s need to go before they can replenish their stock.

So that's why they don't want to hype up the 2011.

mangoe 07-24-2010 05:07 PM

You might have to adjust the power steering and seating to your body statue and save it in memory so you can sit and drive and see the speedometer properly.