Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Media Capabilities? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/media-capabilities-11340.html)

drdobsg 07-24-2010 01:05 PM

Media Capabilities?

Can any of you lucky folks who already got one of these gorgeous vehicles answer some questions for me? I test drove an Overland V8 and a Limited V6 last week and the sales woman couldn't really answer this because it was "too new". Both had a Navigation system, I think the Limited was a 430N, but I can't remember.

According to wk2jeeps, the Media Center 430N is capable of Bluetooth Audio streaming, USB Read, and hands free SMS. The 730N seems to be lacking these features. Can anyone confirm that this is the case? I am confused because the 730N seems to be the "better model". They also mention a new 730N model with the Garmin interface, which I personally like better than the Harmon interface.

I also remember there being a USB port in the bottom center console of the Limited, but there was no port on the Overland. This seems like a handy feature, who wants a USB cable hanging down the dash to hook up an iPod?

Are there any reviews/demos that go in depth into the bluetooth/phone features of the WK2? I have seen numerous videos of the Ford Edge in action and I was very impressed with the media capabilities, but frankly the Jeep blows that thing out of the water in every other category.

If any one has any more info on a comparison of the 430N vs 730N or the new 730N (RHR), please let me know. We fell in love with the overland, but I am a somewhat of a gadget geek and I am liking the features of the 430N better.

Technosavant 07-24-2010 01:31 PM

Re: Media Capabilities?

The Overland currently comes standard with the 430N, not the 730N. There is indeed a USB port on both of them (hidden behind a cover). I don't know about a console port, didn't look. I figure I'll load up the internal hard drive with music and then leave the iPod at home. Easier to just use the built in capabilities and it's one less thing that can be stolen.

As for a comparison between the 430N and the current 730N, here you go.

mangoe 07-24-2010 01:43 PM

I think the 730n is the one with more added features almost an extension of the 430n,but without the Garmin software,that is why they are going to upgrade the software to the Garmin,and it is an option on the overland model

drdobsg 07-26-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 240863)
The Overland currently comes standard with the 430N, not the 730N.

According to Jeep's website and the sticker window of the one I test drove, the Overland comes standard with the 730N.
Quote:

There is indeed a USB port on both of them (hidden behind a cover). I don't know about a console port, didn't look.

Yeah, I saw the USB on the front of both units, it would certainly be annoying to have a wire from there to an iPod.
Quote:

I figure I'll load up the internal hard drive with music and then leave the iPod at home. Easier to just use the built in capabilities and it's one less thing that can be stolen.

I would still want to play music from an iPod or something else. From the RER specs, it says only 17GB available for storage. I am guessing the rest is for NAV.
Quote:

As for a comparison between the 430N and the current 730N, here you go.

I read this, they only give detailed specs of the 730N RER, I am really looking for someone with some first hand experience using either of the units to give some opinions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangoe (Post 240866)
I think the 730n is the one with more added features almost an extension of the 430n,but without the Garmin software,that is why they are going to upgrade the software to the Garmin,and it is an option on the overland model

I thought the 730n was supposed to be the one with more features too, but from the specs, it is missing some good features of the 430. In fact, according to wk2jeeps.com, the only thing I see that is added by the 730 is split view and dead reckoning. Without thoroughly using both, it sounds like the 430 with Garmin, usb read, bluetooth audio, and hands free SMS is the better option.

Does anyone know if a future version of these media centers will be able to be swapped in and still have the reverse camera and everything work correctly? My first impression during the test drive tells me the 730 isn't quite on par with some of the competition just yet. Any one else have additional info on the media centers?

Technosavant 07-26-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drdobsg
According to Jeep's website and the sticker window of the one I test drove, the Overland comes standard with the 730N.

That has changed recently. The cutoff was July 6 or so for orders. As far as my dealer can tell, my Overland will come with the 430N, and that's fine with me.

The 730N has more voice command capabilities, but I'll trade that for a Garmin designed unit. The problem is that Jeep seems to themselves be unclear regarding these units and their differences, so you may need to wait a bit to see what happens.

When mine comes in, I'll look it over and see if I can give you some detailed info.

drdobsg 07-26-2010 08:44 PM

Thanks, I will just have to wait and see, or maybe go for another test drive.

weenie5 03-05-2011 02:14 PM

I just picked up the Overland that I ordered last night, and it had the 430N. I was asking how to voice activate the nav system, and they said that I can't. I have UConnect, which allows me to control the stereo and phone, but not the garmin. I was really bummed, as the guy told me I could when I ordered it. The one I test drove had the 730N - which IS voice controlled - but my dealer said those are now replaced with the 430N - with the better 'garmin'. I am so disappointed - and trying to get to the bottom of this as well... So - for me the main diff is the ability to say 'go to 325 main street, podunk, alabama' - or type the address in........ Curious as to what ELSE is different.

dobiegillis 03-05-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie5 (Post 369695)
I just picked up the Overland that I ordered last night, and it had the 430N. I was asking how to voice activate the nav system, and they said that I can't. I have UConnect, which allows me to control the stereo and phone, but not the garmin. I was really bummed, as the guy told me I could when I ordered it. The one I test drove had the 730N - which IS voice controlled - but my dealer said those are now replaced with the 430N - with the better 'garmin'. I am so disappointed - and trying to get to the bottom of this as well... So - for me the main diff is the ability to say 'go to 325 main street, podunk, alabama' - or type the address in........ Curious as to what ELSE is different.

A lot: http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_navigation.htm__

Sent from my HTC myTouch 4G using Tapatalk

dobiegillis 03-05-2011 05:50 PM

Sorry link was bad. http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_navigation.htm

Sent from my HTC myTouch 4G using Tapatalk

vikingdave 03-06-2011 11:04 AM

I have the 430N. It does support A2DP (Bluetooth Stereo) streaming. If you have an iPhone 4 though, it will be garbled until you shut off the screen on your phone, once you do that it works perfectly. I love using it to stream Pandora. It often has problems when connected to the iPhone 4 via USB, but I have heard that the Gold Master 4.3 software (which will soon be released) for the iPhone does fix this problem. Technically it also supports hands free SMS, but I have no idea what phone you need to make this work, it does not work with Android 2.2, Android 2.3, iOS 4.2.x, or iOS 4.3. It's a great unit overall, and Chrysler has said that they will soon be upgrading the software on the 430N. For me, I didn't want the 730, I like sticking with a well known company like Garmin for the Nav. I suspect that Chrysler just has a better profit margin if they dump Garmin, which is probably the main reason for the 730. Also, it's easy to copy music to the 30GB hard drive using the front USB port, just remember that you wont be able to play protected audio files this way, not because of the 430N, it's just the nature of protected files. Protected files will play fine when plugging a phone ot iPod into the USB port, or via A2DP wireless streaming. The 430N has it all.