Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   weird sound when driving? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/weird-sound-when-driving-11351.html)

hmmmm16417 07-24-2010 10:03 PM

weird sound when driving?

I have been hearing a sound lately. It actually started BEFORE i changed my tires....so I KNOW it is NOT my tires...but it is a sound that almost sounds like knobby tires humming on the road. It follows my speed...higher pitch the faster I go.

2006 Laredo , 4x4, 58k miles, 4.7L

All wheel bearings seem to be tight

It never did it until after I had it washed last week...I drove from Erie, PA to Buffalo, NY and noticed it when I was in buff.

Any ideas as to what I should check? I'm hoping it's not a tranny or transfer case issue :(

it's not REAL loud, but noticable to me and would rather catch it now before its something serious:confused:

555ctsv 07-24-2010 10:40 PM

Re: weird sound when driving?

Must be the roads in Buffalo ;) jk Maybe differential fluids?

hmmmm16417 07-24-2010 10:47 PM

hahahahaha, but now that I've been back in Erie for a week....still making the noise. about 6 months ago I did replace the seal in the rearend (where the drive shaft goes in) but it's still all dry with no signs of leaking

JeepKid 07-24-2010 10:51 PM

My jeep made a similair sound on the drive home from when i had just signed off on it. Took it back to the dealer and they told me it was something with the rear diff. It was like a year and a half ago so i dont remember exactly what it was lol sorry.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 07-24-2010 10:55 PM

does the whine come from center or from the tires ???

most likely sounds like ur diffs

fatfreddy 07-25-2010 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmmmm16417 (Post 240991)
I have been hearing a sound lately. It actually started BEFORE i changed my tires....so I KNOW it is NOT my tires...but it is a sound that almost sounds like knobby tires humming on the road. It follows my speed...higher pitch the faster I go.

2006 Laredo , 4x4, 58k miles, 4.7L

All wheel bearings seem to be tight

It never did it until after I had it washed last week...I drove from Erie, PA to Buffalo, NY and noticed it when I was in buff.

Any ideas as to what I should check? I'm hoping it's not a tranny or transfer case issue :(

it's not REAL loud, but noticable to me and would rather catch it now before its something serious:confused:

Maybe washing it blew a chunk of crap in behind a brake rotor shield or into the ABS tone ring.

StoneCold 07-25-2010 05:58 AM

I had something similar. Turned out to be a corroded piece of disc or something that got trapped. Squeaked like a bugger, then when I changed my discs and pads I discovered all this corroded sh*t from the rim of the old discs. Looked like it had fallen through the vents and got stuck around the hub area. Weird but once it was all cleaned out, blasted with air etc, it was fine.

hmmmm16417 07-25-2010 11:32 AM

thanks guys! When it's not raining out I will start pulling wheels to check for crap in the discs. if I don't find anything, I will take it somewhere to have them look at it.

555ctsv 07-25-2010 12:03 PM

Yea i had some mud get stuck between the heat shield and the brake rotor once. Sounded terrible. Good luck with it!

hmmmm16417 09-02-2010 10:37 PM

I pulled the wheels and there was nothing rubbing. everything seems tight, but the noise is now louder. I'm assuming it is something in the rear end. I think maybe I'll try changing the diff. fluids.

about a year ago I had a bad seal in the rear and replaced it. I did check the level in the rear end and it is full.....

maybe I should change the fluids anyways? I just turned 60k on my jeep

00wj 09-03-2010 12:03 AM

Sounds like what's happening to me. I believe it the rear diff 4 sure. Mine in leaking from the driver side and I've replaced the seals twice. I'm going to try to go to shop this weekend and figure it out and ill let you know. If you find out anything please let me know too

hmmmm16417 09-04-2010 06:39 PM

Pulled the cover off the rear-end today, cleaned it out real good (sludgy oil and metal dust slightly noticable) and refilled it with new fluid(s).....

Didn't make a difference :-/

Maybe a carrier bearing going bad or something?

driveshaft seems tight in all joints