Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Rear sway bar removal (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/rear-sway-bar-removal-11458.html)

Joejeep 07-28-2010 05:01 PM

Rear sway bar removal

Are there any tips that I can use to remove the rear sway bar besides removing one wheel and alot of patience.Thanks Joe:D

White WK Swagga 07-28-2010 05:05 PM

Re: Rear sway bar removal

On the drivers side you may have t remove the sway link with the bar because of the fuel tank doesn't give much room to get ti the bolt that attaches the link to bar. And just make sure you take note to how you remove the old so you won't try to install the bar in the wrong was cause that's what I did. LOL

SvenskaJeepGuy 07-28-2010 06:17 PM

i cheated and cut mine in half with a sawzall lol

Joe in PA 07-28-2010 06:24 PM

What I had to do when I replaced mine was to:
  • jack up the passenger side at the axle
  • place a jack stand at the lift point on the uniframe in front of the rear wheel
  • remove the wheel
  • unbolt the links and bushing brackets
  • remove one of the shock bolts
  • drop the axle as low as it will go while still supported by the jack
  • finally snake the dang thing out of the wheel well

Doing that gave a lot of extra room between the Jeep and the axle which made it possible to get the old bar out and the new one in without too much trouble.

08pretaco 07-29-2010 12:04 PM

just curious, why not just take off the sway bar? Offroad it will give you a little better articulation and gave my IFS a little more travel...I do know this is for the rear but taking off the F/R sway bars, shouldnt that give a much better overall suspension performance? Anyone not running either?

White WK Swagga 07-29-2010 12:28 PM

I tell you this. I put my rear on and went for a test drive and It felt like the rear snapped in place and followed the front faster than swaying back and forth. Then I did front and went for a drive and it was even more tight!

blackpepper 07-29-2010 01:54 PM

On top of what Joe said:

remove through the pass. side.. re-install the new one through the pass. side. On the driver's side, the gas tank gets in the way. You only need to put the rear on stands and remove the rear wheel..

make sure the new one is lined up evenly before you tighten ALL the bolts.

06RC22 07-29-2010 04:52 PM

I agree with all the comments above. If you take the passenger side wheel and tire off, you have tons of room maneuver it out of there. and again, the hardest part is getting that bolt off that is right behind the gas tank. Just take your time and it will be easy!

muellge 07-29-2010 05:58 PM

drop axle on jack and make room...

soontobesrt 07-29-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muellge (Post 244222)
drop axle on jack and make room...

+1 only way to get it on the one side really, PIA!