Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/)
-   -   WJ brakejob And Transmission Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/wj-brakejob-and-transmission-service-11532.html)

dhillon09 07-31-2010 01:04 PM

WJ brakejob And Transmission Service

Where can I get rotors + pads on the cheap for my 2001 V8 WJ?

They're warped as all hell right now, and the truck rides like crap when I'm braking. My mechanic will install it all for $40, but he said the parts will cost him $200 (front rotors, all 4 pads), what do you guys think?

Also, he's willing to do a transmission service for me as well, but i'm picking up the parts from the dealership. What should I get? I believe there's a gasket, transmission fluid and a few filters? Can anyone shed some light on this?

I plan on doing the front and rear differentials myself, and I'll get him to do the transfer case in a few weeks as well.

Also, I will be picking up the fuel filter from the dealership, as well as new sparkplugs. I've heard OEM works best for these two?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for the help! Wanna get the WJ in tip top shape again :)

Chaoul1 07-31-2010 01:07 PM

Re: WJ brakejob And Transmission Service

For the brakes you can go to AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts.

dhillon09 07-31-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 245027)
For the brakes you can go to AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts.

So there's no cheaper alternative? I'm getting a good deal for $200? I just want to know if I'm getting my money's worth. I know the stuff on ebay is mostly cheap crap with some nice items mixed in, just having a hard time differentiating between the two.

Chaoul1 07-31-2010 01:13 PM

That's what I did. I bought them, but I did them on my own. Brakes are very easy. We have a few write ups on how to do them. If you go with your mechanic, make sure he bleeds the air out of them.

dhillon09 07-31-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 245029)
That's what I did. I bought them, but I did them on my own. Brakes are very easy. We have a few write ups on how to do them. If you go with your mechanic, make sure he bleeds the air out of them.

Can you give me a link to what you bought?

I have the teves calipers, and I know they're notoriously bad for warping the crap out of rotors, so maybe some quality rotors can remedy this? (If rotors last me 2 years, I'll be happy).

StoneCold 07-31-2010 02:09 PM

I got rotors for 50 ($75 ish) and pads were about 25 ($40 ish). Diffs are a piece of p*ss, a pain to get to, but an easy job. And be prepared for the smell!!! Oh and make sure you use the LSD additive. Def go with the standard plugs from the dealer, they're Champions.

Chaoul1 07-31-2010 03:09 PM

Yeah I had an 2004 WJ with the Akebeno Calipers. I just asked them what was recommended and got the best ones.

Davidson 07-31-2010 05:04 PM

Kenetic drilled slotted and zinc coated.
Full fronta nd rear set of rotors and ceramic pads for 161.00
FREE delivery on Ebay. I got mine delivered in one day and I love them.

straty1987 07-31-2010 08:19 PM

if you go to autozone their parts have a warranty (some are lifetime) so when it warps again you just take them back and get a new one

cheapest pads and rotors at autozone:
rotors front $46 rear $55
pads $18 front $22 rear
so over $240 so getting a good deal on parts and $40 to do the work is a great price. around me its $40 just doing the pads or rotors on one end.

if you can do the diffs can do the TC. if oyu have a 247 TC can only get the guild from the dealer

if you get a good price on the transmission let him do it since will be a messy job. just make sure you bring ATF+4 and get a mopar or wix filter.

Chaoul1 07-31-2010 09:44 PM

Don't get the drilled and slotted. They squeak really badly!

Frango100 08-01-2010 06:43 AM

If you can do the diffs yourself, for sure you can do the TC as well. I have the 247 TC and am using Mobil 424 Fluid in them.
For the transmission, there is no gasket, only a beat of RTV will seal it off. There are 2 filters in there, the large flat oval shaped primary filter and the round spin-on cooler return filter.

dhillon09 08-01-2010 04:01 PM

Thank you guys so much for the responses!

My mechanics a really cool dude who works on all my dad's cars, he actually likes working on cars so that's the sole reason I go to him!

@Davidson

Thank you so much for your response, I'm going to look 'em up and look into ordering 'em today. Thanks a bunch guys.

Unfortunately I'm from Canada, so we don't have autozones, we have lordco (similar in style/service) but they're usually more expensive (they're the ones that quoted $200 for parts).