Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Buying WJ with Quadra-TracII (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/buying-wj-with-quadra-tracii-11561.html)

05bighorn 08-01-2010 04:11 PM

Buying WJ with Quadra-TracII

Anybody have any issues with the AWD T-Case? I've never been a huge fan and am concerned about longevity. Any input would be greatly appreciated. It's an 04 GC Limited with the 4.7.

dhillon09 08-01-2010 04:25 PM

Re: Buying WJ with Quadra-TracII

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05bighorn (Post 245359)
Anybody have any issues with the AWD T-Case? I've never been a huge fan and am concerned about longevity. Any input would be greatly appreciated. It's an 04 GC Limited with the 4.7.

Change the transfer case fluid regularly, and it, like most of the other drivetrain parts on a WJ, will last a long time with proper attention and care. If anything does go bad/wrong, it's not too expensive or hard to swap out the AWD to a selectrac (2WD, 4WDhi, and 4WDlo)

Chaoul1 08-01-2010 05:39 PM

I love Quadra-Trac II. It helped me in a lot of snow! But now I got Quadra-Drive II :D. Make sur eyou keep up with Maintanance.

dhillon09 08-01-2010 06:32 PM

If you're buying this truck do a few of these things (others feel free to chime in)

First) Cycle the key from complete off, to the on position (just before actually starting the ignition, so that all the dash lights come on) 3 times, this will they display any error codes in the odometer. If all it says is DONE .. the truck is currently in good condition (as far as the ECU knows)

Second) Turn on the truck, listen for a tick. Lifter tick is a common problem in the 4.7L

Third)Inspect the heater/AC unit by using a bunch of different settings. Make sure all the heater/AC settings work as they should, because the blower motor is a common and costly failure.

Other than that, a mechanic can give you a good checkup on it, a quick visual inspection of the underbelly, look for white smoke in the exhaust etc. etc.

And if you get a chance, drive it hard and see how it shifts, it shouldn't slip shifting from gear to gear.

Joe in PA 08-02-2010 05:42 AM

I have an 04' WJ with the same tcase attached to the 4.7L HO. With something like 110k miles on the Jeep so far, I've not had any issues with the tcase. So long as you stick to a decent maintenance schedule and use the appropriate fluids for the tcase, axles and tranny, there shouldn't be any longevity concerns.

Unfortunately, since you are looking at buying a 6yr+ old vehicle, you really have no idea how well it was maintained in the past. Of course that is true regardless of the tcase involved.