Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Overland QTII, Select Trac, & Quadra Lift confusion.

11K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  Jim Hef 
#1 ·
Hello all. First timer here. Love the site. It is a god-send. Wish my dealers read all this. Am looking to get my first Jeep.

Anyway, getting to the point here. I want to order an Overland (4wd, Hemi, Trailer Tow IV) with QTII, Hill Decent Control, Select Terrain and keep the 20 inch wheels (hence want to stay away from the Off Road Adv Grp II). I know that you can now order Overland with the Quadra Lift Standard. My main question is since the Overland comes stock with the Quadra Trac II does that imply that Select Terrain and Hill Decent control is standard?

There's 3 reasons that are causing my confusion.

1. With the Overland, Hill Decent Control is part of the optional Quadra Drive II Pkg which makes me think the Hill Decent Control is not standard.

2. According to the brochure, it states "Quadra Trac II active 4wd includes 2 spd trnsfer case and Hill Decent Control (packaged with 5.7L V8 eng and Off Road Adv Group II)" implying you have to get the Off Road Adv Grp II.

3. And the last little tid bit that makes me unsure is the Off Road Adv II pkg for the overland is basically the skid plates, 18 inch wheels and spare, and the all important Trail Rated badge. This info now swings me back to thinking that the Hill Decent is standard or only available with the QD II Pkg.

Am I reading too much into this or what?

Since the Off Road Adv II pkg is so generic on the Overland, my hopes is basically get all the other packages, keep the 20's and maybe get some generic wheels and some aftermarket skid plates possibly down the line when I want to take it off road.

Thoughts, comments, and suggestion all welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
1. With the Overland, Hill Decent Control is part of the optional Quadra Drive II Pkg which makes me think the Hill Decent Control is not standard.
Although it's listed under the QD-II package, Hill Descent Control is Standard on the Overland, there is no way to "not" get it. The same with Selec-Terrain.

2. According to the brochure, it states "Quadra Trac II active 4wd includes 2 spd trnsfer case and Hill Decent Control (packaged with 5.7L V8 eng and Off Road Adv Group II)" implying you have to get the Off Road Adv Grp II.
You do not have to get the Off-Road Adv Grp package to get Hill Descent Control.

3. And the last little tid bit that makes me unsure is the Off Road Adv II pkg for the overland is basically the skid plates, 18 inch wheels and spare, and the all important Trail Rated badge. This info now swings me back to thinking that the Hill Decent is standard or only available with the QD II Pkg.
As mentioned above, Hill Descent Control is Standard on the Overland for any and all configurations.

Aside from exterior colors and interior trim choices, there are only 6 options available on the Overland:

1. 5.7L Hemi
2. RER navigation radio
3. Off-Road Adventure Group II
4. Rear DVD Entertainment Center
5. Engine Block Heater
6. Trailer Tow Groups

#4 ·
And along with those 6 options a lot of times its only 5 I am finding out. As most all dealers I have talked to have said the HEMI includes the trailer tow group package, thus the package is 1995 not 1495. Most people who want a Hemi want to be able to tow generally speaking....

#6 ·
Those skid plate provide double function act as some sort of aerodynamics under the jeep for wind flow,having a flat surface under the jeep is a positive,and also protect under the jeep.

I was not aware of this until I saw this at the Lexus website on the Rx SUV,they design a flat surface under the vehicle,where they say there is less wind turbulence,its more aerodynamic and less drag,and it make the SUV more quiet.

#7 ·
Milous,
Thanks for the quick reply. After going through this forum, you are a great service. I love the way you answer questions. Clear, concise, and usually 99% of the time always good/positive news.

Since I am new to the Jeep community I have some more questions regarding the the Quadra Drive. QDII is full time 4wd, whereas QTII is 2wd with the Auto 4wd selection. Is there an option to switch to 2wd with QDII (thinking fuel economy and decreasing powertrain load/drag)?

As of the latest threads, the ELSD of the QDII is in the rear only on the 2011 GC. Is it safe to say that the from axle is open and the traction control is via the brakes like QTII?

Why change to a 230 mm axle w/ the ELSD? Is it to handle the stress with the torque control via the clutch in the diff and not at the brakes like the QTII?

And finally, I figure there is no change with the tranny with the reduction to the 3.09 axle ratio with the QDII Pkg, hence there will be a slight decrease in fuel economy on the road and better towing grunt.

I'm thinking, unless one is a hard core off-roader, the QDII pkg doesn't really offer much to the avg Joe.

Thanks in advance.

#8 ·
QTII is not part time 4 wheel drive. It cannot be locked into 2WD mode for fuel efficiency. With Selec-Terrain, you can vary the torque split front/rear somewhat (for example, "sport" mode sends most to the rear), but it isn't completely user adjustable. You do have a 4WD low gear range (QT1 doesn't), but you don't have the ELSD like QDII brings to the table.

And yeah, if you don't plan to do major off roading, there isn't much reason to go for QDII. It doesn't appear to actually have any drawbacks if you don't off road, but neither will it have any benefits.

#10 ·
I know there are a number of folks on here who placed orders for Overlands recently and are confused as to what equipment they'll actually show up with, so I figured I'd share my experience.

I placed an order on 7/2. I'd called Jeep's customer service line several times to check the status, but for whatever reason, as of last week, the VON still had not shown up in their system. Finally, today, they gave me the VIN and told me that it's in "gateline" status (i.e., just prior to build) with an estimated ship date of 8/17. (As an aside, they said the delay may have resulted from the fact they wait to get several orders with the same specs before they build a batch at once. Not sure what I had unique that may have held it up; the V8 was the only option I added - perhaps Dark Charcoal paint?)

Anyway, I asked them directly if they could confirm whether it would include the Quadra-Lift suspension, considering it wasn't available when I ordered, but has since become available. They said it would NOT include the Quadra-Lift. I noticed that Milous said recently that all Overlands built going forward would have it, and someone else was told that all of them ordered after June 2 would have it. Either that's not the case, or the customer service rep gave me incorrect information.

I had gotten my hopes up a little based on that info, but since I didn't anticipate having it in the first place and don't necessarily need it, it's not a huge deal. Still pretty excited that it's only a few weeks away.

#11 ·
Im curious too, even though I ordered mine July 31st and dont anticipate it going into D until next week, I assume it will have the Quadra-Lift. I am not sure if its all orders after July 19th as I saw in the delay post?

#12 ·
This is what I saw in the delays/shipment post;

Quadra-Lift System - NOW AVAILABLE FOR ORDERING (AS OF 7/19)

As well as farther down the list it said (July)

#13 ·
Well, I can say that if mine shows up without Quadra-Lift, I'm likely to not take delivery- I'll let the dealer take this one into inventory and I'll just wait until Jeep can tell the difference between their rear and a hole in the ground when it comes to the top of the line trim level.

#15 ·
Quadra-lift was always to be standard but for some reason early models like the one I test drove at a dealership weeks ago... Didn't have it installed

#17 ·
Quick question - what is the difference between Quadra-lift and Select-Terrain??

#26 ·
In my experience the difference between traction control and limit slip differentials is mostly in smoothness. *If one wheel is slipping, a limited slip differential will tighten up and begin to turn both wheels instead of sending all the power to the slipping wheel. *Electronic limited slip differentials can do this so quickly and smoothly that it may seem like a low traction situation was never even an issue.

Traction control systems apply the brake briefly to the spinning wheel, instantly but briefly transferring all power to the non spinning wheel. *This works out fantastically if one wheel has excellent traction, but in a sitaution where both wheels are on a slippery surface the sudden power transfer can often cause the non spinning wheel to break loose.

#27 ·
This is one of the bigger mysteries about the WK2 selections. QTII with the dial is available as a choice with the off-road packages regardless of the suspension choice. QuadraLift gives you variable ride heights, so does that make it Select Terrain II??? Obviously not, but the combinations get to be a bit much when speaking about those systems.

#28 ·
Selec-Terrain is nothing more than Selec-Terrain. It is a method by which you can tell the vehicle computer what kind of terrain to expect; if in sport mode, you're telling it you aren't leaving pavement. In in rock mode, you're telling it that you're heading off into the boonies.

Then the vehicle computer does what it needs to do with whatever else is installed. If Quadra-Lift is installed, it will make use of its capabilities. If not, then it won't.

Ditto the QTII and QDII systems; the vehicle computer will utilize whichever you have in the most advantageous manner for whatever you have selected.

You're seeing these as more specially integrated than they are. They interact, but they aren't necessarily that closely married to where the existence of a different component (say, QDII in place of QTII or the existence of QL at all) makes Selec-Terrain that much different. It's just a means by which you tell the computer what you're going to be doing.

#29 ·
How will the ELSD-less front diff of the WK2 handle driving up a slippery road? Will it actually send brake signals to a wheel in motion? That would suck balls. I would much rather have power going to both wheels that may or may not spin instead of braking being sent to one so they other might be able to help. That does not sound like any form of QD that jeep has ever released. Even my 2002 jeep has a better system.

#31 ·
...I would much rather have power going to both wheels....
Limited slip doesn't work that way, but a locking differential would. LS throws power from one side to the other depending upon which wheel is slipping. So, until some tests show how the braking technique works for both QTII and QDII, we won't really know how effective this is. Most of the German stuff has brake application limiting, and they work quite well.

#32 ·
My take on an LSD is it pretty much locks both wheels together. It prevents one from spinning out of control by sending power to both sides.

QD claimed to have the ability to send all the power to one wheel but not by use of brakes. I don't think it really works the way they claim and I'd rather have a 50/50 split with mechanical front and rear LSDs.

#39 ·
Yeah, it is going to result in more of a handling difference than any change in fuel efficiency. Since less power goes to the front wheels, you aren't asking them to do as much, so there's likely to be a marginal improvement in handling. Probably not night and day, but enough for those who want to find a difference to notice something on the butt dyno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.