Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Diff Fluids and Transfer case with Amsoil (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/diff-fluids-and-transfer-case-with-amsoil-11655.html)

ray101381 08-04-2010 10:06 PM

Diff Fluids and Transfer case with Amsoil

I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.7L motor. I bought the car back in Nov of 2009 with 44k, i now have about 59,600. Within the last 1000 miles or so i got a slight binding/noise on left turns under power, and it would def bind up when making left U-turns under power, after some research and looking under the car the cv boots were fine and i figured it was time to change the diff fluids. I decided to go with amsoil since i've had good luck with it in the past, the price is right, and i didn't have a chance to go to the dealer to get mopar oil. I went with amsoil severe gear oil 75w140 with amsoil slip lock additive, i used one four ounce tube for the front and another for the rear. For the transfer case i used amsoil tractor hydraulic fluid as recommended by amsoil. The labor was very straight forward and it took longer crawling underneath the car a few times and removing the skid plates than the actual changing of the fluid. I took the car out and did the prerequisite figure 8's. i'm happy to report the binding is completely gone and is so much smoother around turns under power and is completely noise free. I'll keep this post updated as i put some more miles on these fluids

DJ BoNiOmArIo 08-05-2010 12:28 AM

Re: Diff Fluids and Transfer case with Amsoil

nice write up i have the same whining noise when i make a left turn i changed my diff fluids with royal purple that comes with the additive and it's still there

ray101381 08-05-2010 06:32 AM

just drove into work this morning using the typical route i take and there are a few turns where i KNOW the car will make the binding noise, the noise is gone. i've been trying harder to mimic the noise to make sure it is gone so i've been taking harder turns than normal and still quiet as can be.

lewi3069 08-05-2010 02:08 PM

Nice I am ordering my severe gear Friday and I went to the jeep dealer and bought the nv245 fluid. Let me know how the amsoil tcase fluid works. I was going to use that in mine but I read how the nv245 was only recommended on wkjeeps.com. If it works good I will use that on my next change... I used all amsoil in my last jeep and it was night and day after changing it so smooth and quiet!!! the only place i didn't get to change it was the transmission because you would have to reset the transmission computer.

probablecauz 08-05-2010 02:20 PM

very nice. i use amsoil for my fluids except the transfer case, i believe for the SRT8 they only want se to use the Mopar fluids. for the SRT8 we dont use the additive either. glad to hear another satisfied person using amsoil:thumbsup:

ray101381 08-05-2010 03:40 PM

tranfer case is fine so far, only have about 50 miles on it since the change, i read also that the nv245 recommends mopar but i didn't have a chance to go to the dealer so i took the plunge, i PM'd another guy on another jeep forum and he uses the tractor hydraulic oil and he's had over 20k on it and he says it's fine, also i chose to use the amsoil slip lock additive rather than the mopar additive. so far so good.

Milous 08-05-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray101381 (Post 247554)
just drove into work this morning using the typical route i take and there are a few turns where i KNOW the car will make the binding noise, the noise is gone. i've been trying harder to mimic the noise to make sure it is gone so i've been taking harder turns than normal and still quiet as can be.

I don't think the Amsoil fluid had anything to do with "fixing" the noise, it sounds like your old fluid had quite a few miles on it and you would have had the same results using the Mopar fluid.

Joe in PA 08-05-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milous (Post 247975)
i don't think the amsoil fluid had anything to do with "fixing" the noise, it sounds like your old fluid had quite a few miles on it and you would have had the same results using the mopar fluid.

Bingo! :thumbsup:

ray101381 08-07-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 247975)
I don't think the Amsoil fluid had anything to do with "fixing" the noise, it sounds like your old fluid had quite a few miles on it and you would have had the same results using the Mopar fluid.

if i had implied that the amsoil was the magic oil that fixed everything, i apologize, everyone seems to be using the OEM Mopar oils so i just thought i'd give my experiences with something other than OEM Mopar gear oil and OEM Mopar additive. The mopar oils have been proven to work but i couldn't find them online nor was i able to make it to the dealer to purchase them, so i took the plunge with amsoil products. The amsoil slip lock additive and amsoil severe gear seem to be working just as well as the OEM stuff as is the amsoil hydraiulic oil in the transfer case. I know people have had trouble with the Trans-x friction modifier sold at advance as it specifically says not to use in QDII. I think amsoil is a viable alternative to Mopar gear oil, transfer case oil, and additive for those who can't make it out to the dealer or simply don't want to pay dealer prices

Ridin' Around 08-08-2010 10:14 PM

nice info, thanks for sharing!

lewi3069 08-08-2010 11:51 PM

Just ordered my amsoil for the diff tonight

ChrisWk 05-06-2011 05:38 PM

I am about to change the transfer case oil and diff fliuds do you need to drive the jeep a bit to warm the fliuds and trans oil up or change them cold? I am going to do the easy way and pump them out. Plese let me know.

Thanks

Chris