Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Air suspension and body roll? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/air-suspension-and-body-roll-11756.html)

phoebe 08-09-2010 10:04 AM

Air suspension and body roll?

I saw an official Jeep clip at youtube of a black '11 Grand Cherokee driving some paved roads and immediately noticed quite a bit of bobbing around and body roll. It appeared to be a loaded model and demonstrated the the air suspension at about 3 minutes in. Would anyone know if you are likely to have less body roll with or without the air suspension?

Jim Hef 08-09-2010 10:20 AM

Re: Air suspension and body roll?

Interestingly, I saw that video, if it's the same one, and thought that it cornered well, without much body lean. The one I saw kept showing the black vehicle coming and going for quite awhile in the video.

Technosavant 08-09-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoebe (Post 249235)
I saw an official Jeep clip at youtube of a black '11 Grand Cherokee driving some paved roads and immediately noticed quite a bit of bobbing around and body roll. It appeared to be a loaded model and demonstrated the the air suspension at about 3 minutes in. Would anyone know if you are likely to have less body roll with or without the air suspension?

It probably depends on the setting you have for the air suspension. I haven't driven one with it, but I don't know why it would be worse than the "normal" suspension (which felt well planted, not like it was on its tippy-toes, which is the impression you get from some). For on road use I plan to leave my Selec-Terrain knob on "Sport" anyway. 1/2" lower ride height and torque distribution more suited to pavement anyway.

jpsmith 08-09-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 249260)
For on road use I plan to leave my Selec-Terrain knob on "Sport" anyway. 1/2" lower ride height and torque distribution more suited to pavement anyway.

The sucky thing is that it resets to "Auto" every time you start the car. You can't leave it set to "Sport," or else I would. I don't have Quadra-Lift in my Laredo X, but I do have Selec-Terrain and I like to sort-of emulate 2wd via the "Sport" setting. It's just a little annoying that I have to set it every time I start the car.

Technosavant 08-09-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpsmith (Post 249298)
The sucky thing is that it resets to "Auto" every time you start the car. You can't leave it set to "Sport," or else I would. I don't have Quadra-Lift in my Laredo X, but I do have Selec-Terrain and I like to sort-of emulate 2wd via the "Sport" setting. It's just a little annoying that I have to set it every time I start the car.

Interesting. I did not know that. That's an annoyance.

dmlong47 08-09-2010 02:09 PM

i was hooping you could just leave it lifted and put some big tires on it, guess it wouldnt work

Jim Hef 08-09-2010 02:52 PM

Maybe a simple reprogramming of the control is an aftermarket possibility? I too would want to engage Sport for most of my driving.

jpsmith 08-09-2010 03:33 PM

The switch itself is not a dial that you point to the setting you want and leave it there. It's kind of hard to describe, but it's a knob that you can turn infinitely in either direction. Crank it all the way to the left and it will go into "Sport." At that point you can keep cranking it, but it won't have any effect. Likewise, if you dial it to "Sport," then go five more clicks counter-clockwise, it only takes one clockwise click to get back to "Snow."

Technosavant 08-09-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpsmith (Post 249374)
The switch itself is not a dial that you point to the setting you want and leave it there. It's kind of hard to describe, but it's a knob that you can turn infinitely in either direction. Crank it all the way to the left and it will go into "Sport." At that point you can keep cranking it, but it won't have any effect. Likewise, if you dial it to "Sport," then go five more clicks counter-clockwise, it only takes one clockwise click to get back to "Snow."

It's just a rotary controller, not a real switch.

This means that the defaulting to the "Auto" mode is a setting in the vehicle's firmware. It does not appear (after looking over the .pdf owner's manual) that you can set it to default to one or another particular setting. Pity; it would be nice of you could select it to use "same as last setting" or "default to auto" in the EVIC.