Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   WK2 Towing questions w/o Tow Grp IV (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/wk2-towing-questions-w-o-tow-grp-iv-11802.html)

Sir Bean 08-10-2010 07:58 PM

WK2 Towing questions w/o Tow Grp IV

Was putting together an order for an Overland, 4X4, w/ the Hemi (which includes the QL II) and just learned today, according to the Jeep customer Service, that one can not get the Trailer Tow Group IV with the Quadra Lift II Pkg. I assume it has to do with differences between the Quadra Lift system and the self leveling system in the Tow Grp IV pkg.

By not having the Tow Grp IV, I lose the 220 Amp alternator, the heavy duty engine cooling and self leveling rear suspension (Assuming the QL II doesn't do the same thing when loaded).

My main question is what is the disadvantages of not having these features for someone who will probably be towing a boat only on weekends a max or 3 hours each way to and from?

I originally was opting for the Tow Grp II for potential capability and resale and figured I'll use the QL features more than the towing hence why I'm keeping the QL II.

Thanks

J13ntv 08-10-2010 10:09 PM

Re: WK2 Towing questions w/o Tow Grp IV

Are you sure the Tow Group IV is not an option? As far as I am aware, that is the ONLY package allowed on the Hemi motor... I ordered a Overland 4x4, Hemi, 730N and the tow package is built into the Hemi price, since everyone who wants a Hemi gets the tow package...

Jim Hef 08-10-2010 10:12 PM

That's the first mention of this, but look at the Off Road Adventure Group II package. It includes all of the things you mentioned along with the group IV towing, and is listed as available for the Overland. I've asked for a quote for an Overland as you've described, along with this package, so I'll see what the salesman states when he gets back to me.

J13ntv 08-10-2010 10:13 PM

The OL is supposed to self Level, thats a feature given the load you have to make the headlights always level as well. If what you say is true you might lose the 220w amp which really isn't necessary however according to jeeps website you still get the All Grand Cherokee models properly equipped with the available 5.7-liter V8 engine and Trailer Tow Group come with a variable-speed 850 watt brushless electric cooling fan..

Sir Bean 08-10-2010 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J13ntv (Post 250154)
Are you sure the Tow Group IV is not an option? As far as I am aware, that is the ONLY package allowed on the Hemi motor... I ordered a Overland 4x4, Hemi, 730N and the tow package is built into the Hemi price, since everyone who wants a Hemi gets the tow package...

When I did my tentative order with the dealer, the build sheet was showing what appeared to be equivalent to the Towing Grp 1: class 4 receiver, 7 & 4 pin wiring, and full size spare. There was no option allowing or showing the availability to get the 220 amp and HD eng cooling. (May have been hidden based on my QL selection)

Thinking that the Tow Grp IV was available I then called the Jeep Rep to clarify. She read off her specs for the Towing Group IV, and it stated that (can't remember exactly how worded) it wasn't compatable with QL II.

whatevrworks 08-11-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Bean (Post 250086)
My main question is what is the disadvantages of not having these features for someone who will probably be towing a boat only on weekends a max or 3 hours each way to and from?

I do quite a bit of towing camping trailers, boats, and some very heavy utility trailers with my 02 grand cherokee that does not have these features. Compared to my wifes 06 commander that does have these features there is not a whole lot of difference in temp or other indications, on real hot days is mountainous terrain with a HEAVY trailer you might have some issues. Not necessarily with the ability to tow the trailer or overheating, but its just harder on the whole system. Higher temps not good for the trans, engine, and all those hoses and rubber under the hood.

If there is any way to get the Class IV package I would get it but based on what you mention you probably wont have an issue just towing a boat unless over really hilly terrain. Boats up in the 20 or longer foot range really are not all that heavy and the trailers themselves weigh next to nothing (comparatively).

Some will argue that you dont need the Class IV but I disagree. If available why not get it? But thats just me I use synthetic oil, and maintain all my vehicles on my own so I like to keep things in tip-top shape, anything like extra cooling or a hd alternator that makes life easier is good.

Sir Bean 08-11-2010 12:06 PM

Thanks for sharing the real world experience. Do you have any experience regarding having/not having a leveling rear suspension? I'm curious if by not having it (and having the Quadra Lift instead) will the vehicle have a significant tail down position when loaded?

I'm still curious if the Quadra Lift will try and be able to keep the vehicle level like a rear leveling system designed for that purpose would.

Is the 220 amp alt to compensate for the elec load of the trailer (lights and elec brakes)?

Technosavant 08-11-2010 12:43 PM

I'm not sure why they say the load leveling part of the tow group IV conflicts with the Quadra-Lift. I ordered the Trailer Tow Group (the "regular" one with the V-6) and nobody said boo regarding it and the QL.

STIX 08-11-2010 07:17 PM

ordered my OL with the 5.7L and Tow Package IV. The dealer showed me the ordering screen and it had quadralift listed in the build sheet.

I think you can chalk this up to the piss poor job by Jeep marketing. So much in thier online and press materials is in conflict with the ordering system in terms of what is standard vs option, even pricing like the 25P packaged Hemi (500 more than what the site says). Hell look at this fiasco with the NAV systems.

I even called today to ask where my order was in the process and they couldn't find my VON. Turns out I alreay have a VIN and it's in production according to my dealer!

From what I gather it sounds like the autoleveling is an additional feature for the *standard suspension* when you order this option. My guess is that the quadralift does this exact thing - auto level - by nature of the system. Then again what do I know. We'll find out when my OL get delivered.

J13ntv 08-11-2010 07:41 PM

I pulled this from a Window sticker of an overland.. at a cost of 595..

Trailer Tow Group
7- and 4-Pin Wiring Harness
Class IV Receiver Hitch
Rear Load Leveling Suspension
Full-Size Spare Tire
Steel Spare Wheel

jonnyg 08-11-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J13ntv (Post 250532)
I pulled this from a Window sticker of an overland.. at a cost of 595..

Trailer Tow Group
7- and 4-Pin Wiring Harness
Class IV Receiver Hitch
Rear Load Leveling Suspension
Full-Size Spare Tire
Steel Spare Wheel

Was this Overland one of the early production models w/o the QL? If so that would explain why it has the Class IV.

I really hope this isn't the case with QL. I placed an order 3 weeks ago and have a ship date of 21 Aug. I really wanted the CL IV tow group.

Sir Bean 08-11-2010 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STIX (Post 250522)

I even called today to ask where my order was in the process and they couldn't find my VON. Turns out I alreay have a VIN and it's in production according to my dealer!

... We'll find out when my OL get delivered.

Any idea when your is expected to be delivered?