Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Can External Hard Drive be Used as a Source on RER?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/can-external-hard-drive-be-used-as-a-source-on-rer-11815.html)

HemiDawg 08-11-2010 10:12 AM

Can External Hard Drive be Used as a Source on RER??
 
Was just curious if I were to hook up an external hard drive to the USB port of the radio, could I play songs off of it without having to dump them on the HDD??

The reason I ask is that I have over 40K songs on an EHD and there is no way I can dump all of them on the HDD. I have not had time to put them into folders or playlists, so I thought it would be nice if I could just plug it in and have access to all of them.

08Hemi 08-11-2010 05:12 PM

Re: Can External Hard Drive be Used as a Source on RER??
 
^^ great question! Anybody know??

JRsmoothee 08-11-2010 06:55 PM

Re: Can External Hard Drive be Used as a Source on RER??
 
i dont think it will work.....external hardrive has to have compatible software with the RER and vice versa...... but then again what the hell do i know......plug that thing in and find out

tman4024 08-11-2010 07:01 PM

Re: Can External Hard Drive be Used as a Source on RER??
 
I tried when I first got my Jeep and wasn't able to.

Milous 08-11-2010 07:20 PM

Re: Can External Hard Drive be Used as a Source on RER??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiDawg (Post 250308)
Was just curious if I were to hook up an external hard drive to the USB port of the radio, could I play songs off of it without having to dump them on the HDD??

No support for external HDD on the RER...

08Hemi 08-11-2010 07:25 PM

Re: Can External Hard Drive be Used as a Source on RER??
 
You are the man! Not what I wanted to hear but u always have the answer milous!! So great to have u here

HemiDawg 08-11-2010 08:36 PM

Re: Can External Hard Drive be Used as a Source on RER??
 
Well damn, guess I am going to have to find time to sort all of these songs.

Sorry, I was mistaken before - I have only 41582 songs :D (212GB, 110.8 days worth)

Thanks for the info!!

silicastorm 08-13-2010 04:23 AM

Re: Can External Hard Drive be Used as a Source on RER??
 
EHD did not work for me either,,, but I purchased a 16GB flash stick,,, and those 16GB are read and played on the MyGig !!!

206WJ 08-13-2010 09:14 AM

Re: Can External Hard Drive be Used as a Source on RER??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by silicastorm (Post 251458)
EHD did not work for me either,,, but I purchased a 16GB flash stick,,, and those 16GB are read and played on the MyGig !!!


If that's the case there are 2 options to get a HDD to work.

Get a smaller HDD that uses less of a power drain, or get a split USB cable to power it up from a cell phone charger and have the other end going to the myGIG.

In both cases you HAVE TO FORMAT THE HDD in fat32. That may even be the problem to begin with. Flash devices use the fat32 file format. Most HDD drives don't, but can be formatted to use this.

I doubt the myGIG has enough to power a hdd out of the usb though, so you'll probably have to use the power splitter option.

This is the same work around I use for aftermarket units.



P.S. this is a cable example http://e-techsiliconvalley.com/store...944f278a8c1618

HemiDawg 08-14-2010 08:42 PM

Re: Can External Hard Drive be Used as a Source on RER??
 
OK, powering the EHD is not a problem - mine is an older one that has an AC plug which I figured I can plug into the outlet on the back of the center console. The format thing might be an issue though...

I am going to try it, I'll let you all know how it goes.

206WJ 08-14-2010 08:54 PM

Re: Can External Hard Drive be Used as a Source on RER??
 
You can either download a formatter, or if you are using a windows based machine you can do it through dos It's not hard.

Plug the drive into your computer.
Find out what drive letter it is, Remember this.
Open a command window by going to Start, then Run and typing in CMD.
Now type in the following command at the prompt: format /FS:FAT32 X:

Replace the letter X with the letter of your external hard drive in Windows. Windows will go ahead and begin formatting the drive in FAT32.

HemiDawg 08-18-2010 10:34 AM

Re: Can External Hard Drive be Used as a Source on RER??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 206WJ (Post 252330)
You can either download a formatter, or if you are using a windows based machine you can do it through dos It's not hard.

Plug the drive into your computer.
Find out what drive letter it is, Remember this.
Open a command window by going to Start, then Run and typing in CMD.
Now type in the following command at the prompt: format /FS:FAT32 X:

Replace the letter X with the letter of your external hard drive in Windows. Windows will go ahead and begin formatting the drive in FAT32.

I would assume this will also erase everything you have on that drive??


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community