Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   QT-II Trans Case fluid change and capacity question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/qt-ii-trans-case-fluid-change-and-capacity-question-11837.html)

fcdd25 08-12-2010 10:59 AM

QT-II Trans Case fluid change and capacity question

Hi everyone. I'm new here but not new to vehicle maintenance.

I just changed the tranfer case case fluid on my '06 Grand Cherokee w/ QT-II. Its the first time its been changed (57,000 miles). I drained old fluid completely and added NV-247. Problem is the case only took just under one quart of fluid before it started coming back out the fill hole. I backed the truck up on ramps to tip it towards the front but only got a little more fluid in. The capacity is supposed to be almost 2 quarts. After driving about 20 miles I noticed a slight whine upon acceleration at around 20mph and then it goes away. Other than that everything is fine. Noise has not gotten better or worse after 150 miles of driving.

Dealer is stumped too and insists that the case takes almost 2 quarts.

Any ideas on how to get the second quart in or what the heck is going on here? Thanks in advance.

lewi3069 08-12-2010 02:14 PM

Re: QT-II Trans Case fluid change and capacity question

you are 100% you have the qt2? I am uncertain with 2010 models. and your engine size

fcdd25 08-12-2010 02:20 PM

lewi3069

I have a 2006 Gr Cherokee with the 4.7 and QT-II. That stuff about the 2010 2.4 L below my name is an error.

lewi3069 08-12-2010 02:24 PM

Alright cool. I just had one of those... lol now 2007 but same otherwise... Anyways I know for a fact it does take around 2 qts... Which you already know... You could try draining it with the front on ramps and then level it out and fill although you shouldn't have to on level ground...

fcdd25 08-12-2010 02:36 PM

lewi3069

That's worth a shot if I can't come up with any other ideas about this. The truck was on level ground when I drained it and I let it drain until nothing else was left in the thing so I can't imagine how there could've been a half quart or more left in there before I refilled. Very frustrating!

lewi3069 08-12-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcdd25 (Post 250940)
lewi3069

That's worth a shot if I can't come up with any other ideas about this. The truck was on level ground when I drained it and I let it drain until nothing else was left in the thing so I can't imagine how there could've been a half quart or more left in there before I refilled. Very frustrating!

Oh I hear ya there lol I have had my issues before... did you drive around a little to let the fluid heat up... sometimes that lets it flow better... idk

fcdd25 08-12-2010 03:03 PM

I've been driving around the past few days but haven't been able to recheck the level. Tomorow morning I'll get under there again and see if I can get the other quart in it. I'll throw a post up and let you know how it went.

lewi3069 08-12-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcdd25 (Post 250954)
I've been driving around the past few days but haven't been able to recheck the level. Tomorow morning I'll get under there again and see if I can get the other quart in it. I'll throw a post up and let you know how it went.

Alright sounds good! Good Luck I hope it takes it less troubleshooting then lol

fcdd25 08-12-2010 03:08 PM

I hope so too. Stay tuned. Thanks for your help!

fcdd25 08-13-2010 10:43 AM

Whew....All is well!!

Got back under there this morning and got the rest of the fluid in the t-case and now it has 2 quarts and the noise is gone!!
I don't know why it went in with no problem today. I did the same exact thing I did a few days ago. Bottom line is... the job is done!!

lewi3069 08-13-2010 11:18 AM

Alright man! good to hear! Im changing mine tomorrow along with the diffs and trans... hope I dont have any problems.