Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Brake Controller? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/brake-controller-11853.html)

Knightrider03m 08-12-2010 06:10 PM

Brake Controller?

I might pick-up a trailer to tow my ATVs on. The trailer is going to have its own braking system on it. Do I have to have a brake controller on the Jeep or can I just leave it be. The total weight is going to be about 2-2500 pounds.

Escape 08-12-2010 08:41 PM

Re: Brake Controller?

What is the Liberty's towing capacity?

In order to control the trailers brakes you will need a controller. I'm not sure if it would be required for just some ATV's.

See how she handles the load (stopping) and then decide.

Knightrider03m 08-12-2010 08:45 PM

It can tow 5K

I called 3 MSP post and 2 of the 3 said that I needed brakes if I'm towing something over 1000 pounds (in the eyes of the law). Two of my ATVs put together is about 1200 pounds.

How hard is it to add a controller?

206WJ 08-13-2010 09:35 AM

they are pretty easy to add. It's 4 wires. A power, ground and input signal wire,(Off the break switch) then a wire to the back to let the trailer know to turn them on. Some jeeps are pre-wired, I know the WJ is with 99-01.

J13ntv 08-15-2010 03:36 PM

Check out www.etrailer.com for current brake controls and the difference between proportional, fixed and such.

soontobesrt 08-15-2010 04:39 PM

Yeah,, I'd definitely give etrailer a call, they will solve all your problems/questions in a few minutes. They also have good prices and good products too. GL - keep us posted!

Knightrider03m 08-15-2010 04:49 PM

It seams like the trooper didn't know what he was talking about. I called sos and she lmooked up the law and said that the weight has to be over 2k for brakes so I'm find

J13ntv 08-15-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightrider03m (Post 252778)
It seams like the trooper didn't know what he was talking about. I called sos and she lmooked up the law and said that the weight has to be over 2k for brakes so I'm find

Its not always necessarily the law but what your truck/car/suv can handle. If you feel its taking to long to brake, or want to put LESS strain on your vehicle, or want to have the ability to stop quicker while towing a load, the brake controller will solve all of those problems. Especially since that trailer has a brake system, there is a reason its on that trailer. If it wasn't capable of towing the load heavy enough to require brakes, the brakes wouldn't be there.

Knightrider03m 08-15-2010 07:43 PM

I think the stock breaks should be ok. I've towed more in a car that was less than ok to pull itself lol

J13ntv 08-15-2010 09:36 PM

Sounds good.. At least you know all you need is a brake controller if you need the extra support.