Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Help !!! Front Bilstein don't compress !? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/help-front-bilstein-dont-compress-11916.html)

Snow4Lif3 08-14-2010 06:46 PM

Help !!! Front Bilstein don't compress !?

I just installed my front bilstein shock but I had a problem....

The shock just compress a little bit if I lift the lower arms with my jck and then, the jeep begin to lift... I can't bolt the upper ball joint...

Whats wrong with the shock ? Or is it another problem ?

Thank you for your help

I can't use my jeep untill I solve the problem...

SoCalMoparWK 08-14-2010 07:33 PM

Re: Help !!! Front Bilstein don't compress !?

Damn I already knew it would be a bit#ch to put it so I had the front installed by a shop. The rear is a sinch to install. Try and pm Scottina.

Scottina06 08-14-2010 08:26 PM

Sounds like you have the springs oriented wrong

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk

Snow4Lif3 08-14-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 252314)
Sounds like you have the springs oriented wrong

I just verified and they seem to be oriented well (the same as my factory shock). I don't see anything that could prevent the shock to compress...

When I begin to lift the lower arm, the shock begin to compress a little bit (around an inch) and then stop to compress so my jeep begin to lift... at that point, Im way too far to connect the upper ball join...

I really don't know what happen and I really don't know what to do...

TimmyB 08-14-2010 09:13 PM

I think I understand what your problem is, your saying that the shock is extended out full and when you jack up the lower control arm to raise it up to bolt on the upper control arm the car raises due to the shock?

I havent changed out shocks in along time, but way back when I did I believe they came compressed by a plastic restrainer, then I installed it and cut the restraint and it lifted into place.

If you cannot get the upper and lower control arms far enough together, maybe try a big clamp, or have someone sit on your hood to add weight to bring the shock down and compress it and hopefully you can seat the ball joint.

Snow4Lif3 08-14-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyB (Post 252339)
I think I understand what your problem is, your saying that the shock is extended out full and when you jack up the lower control arm to raise it up to bolt on the upper control arm the car raises due to the shock?

I havent changed out shocks in along time, but way back when I did I believe they came compressed by a plastic restrainer, then I installed it and cut the restraint and it lifted into place.

If you cannot get the upper and lower control arms far enough together, maybe try a big clamp, or have someone sit on your hood to add weight to bring the shock down and compress it and hopefully you can seat the ball joint.

Yes, you understand my problem ! Perhaps, even if I succeeded bolting on the upper control arm, my jeep will sit way to high ! Its own weight will not compress the shock... I don't seem to have a restrainer or something like that...

I have the right shock (right p/n). Its impossible that both of my shock are defective !? :confused:

soontobesrt 08-14-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snow4Lif3 (Post 252351)
Yes, you understand my problem ! Perhaps, even if I succeeded bolting on the upper control arm, my jeep will sit way to high ! Its own weight will not compress the shock... I don't seem to have a restrainer or something like that...

I have the right shock (right p/n). Its impossible that both of my shock are defective !? :confused:

I highly doubt you got 2 defective shocks but anything is possible. Id re-verify that you order the correct part, so may # and different words, you could have easily mis-read it more than once, Id make a phone call or post the p/n on the actual shock or the box it came in on this thread so someone can check for ya, never heard of this b/4 ?

Snow4Lif3 08-15-2010 11:19 AM

Update on my problem

Update on my problem :

I succeded bolting on the upper ball joint, installed my wheel and dropped my jeep to the ground and now, IM 2,5 " higher than before I installed my shock... with my 2" spacer lift, it give me 4,5 total lift which it way too much for the suspension geometry... The shock are supposed to give only a 3/8" raise...

whats wrong ?

I need to figure out wath is the problem very soon because i need my truck to go to job on monday...

Snow4Lif3 08-15-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soontobesrt (Post 252377)
I highly doubt you got 2 defective shocks but anything is possible. Id re-verify that you order the correct part, so may # and different words, you could have easily mis-read it more than once, Id make a phone call or post the p/n on the actual shock or the box it came in on this thread so someone can check for ya, never heard of this b/4 ?

The part number is : F4-BE5-D721-H0 Everything is alright...

Scottina06 08-15-2010 11:38 AM

did you use a spring compressor on the springs?

Snow4Lif3 08-15-2010 11:39 AM

Remove 2" BB lift to install front Bilstein ?????

Do I have to remove my front 2" spacer to install the front Bilstein ?

Scottina06 08-15-2010 11:51 AM

can you get some pics?