Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT8 - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f25/)
-   -   Heading into Bwoody, Suggestions? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f25/heading-into-bwoody-suggestions-11931.html)

philthyphil 08-15-2010 06:00 AM

Heading into Bwoody, Suggestions?

My truck is going into Bwoody to have some parts installed and a few things checked. I just bought it with 40,000 miles on it and it was superchraged about 3,000 miles ago.

Bwoody is installing:
-Bwoody links
-Bwoody billet tensioner
-HKS Super mega flow filter
-Vortech Couplers in Black
-Elite Engineering catch can
-Colder spark plugs

Bwoody is also doing a leakdown, compression test and borescoping the motor. They are dyno tuning it to make sure it has a good tune on it.

I was wondering if there is anything else I should have them do while the truck is in there? I am not sure when the engine, diff and tranny fluids were changed last. What other services should I get done?

Also while my truck is there I was thinking of having some parts powdercoated. I was thinking of having the intake mainfold, strut bar and calipers powdercoated anodized red. What do you guys think?

Scottina06 08-15-2010 10:32 AM

Re: Heading into Bwoody, Suggestions?

sounds good....but I wouldnt powdercoat calipers. Its too thick and can cause overheating IMO. Just have Bwoody get them painted by a pro shop just like they'd paint a body panel.

philthyphil 08-15-2010 10:52 PM

I thought the powdercoating process was essentially the same thickness as high temp enamel based paint that you would use to paint your calipers. I hadn't heard anything about not powdercoating calipers before. Scott have you heard of anyone having issues after powdercoating?

Does anyone else have any suggestions of other maintenance items I should have done just to be on the safe side?

I ordered a Bel Sti Driver radar detector today. I would've gotten a Valentine One, but needed a completely invisible detector for my drives through Virginia on vacation. The Sti Driver has gotten very good reviews and isn't quite as much as the 9500ix or the V1.

philthyphil 08-18-2010 03:08 AM

No more suggestions? I was hoping to get some ideas for color schemes or maint that would be a good idea to do.

amw5 08-25-2010 02:40 PM

Have you taken a look at your plugs? Only go colder if you need to...you should have 2-3 threads heated (discolored) if you have more than that, then go cooler...less than that go hotter.

May want to have them check your water and oil pumps for proper pressure/oporation. Could go with an ugraded fuel pump, but you may not need it, for it depends on how much boost you're employing. Definately have all the fluids replaced, for you don't know how it was driven. You could have them crack the timing case and check your chain tensioner...some have failed, for they are plastic and prone to cracking. Replace your serpentine belt. May want to consider a boost upgrade pulley kit to get the most out of your supercharger (may require fuel pump upgrade). Since you're going on the dyno and may be doing some tune tweaking, you may want to consider ported heads and a moderate cam upgrade...would make sense to do both at this time, for you will definately need tuning...larger throttle body wouldn't hurt either.

Forgot to mention...may want to get a certified flex plate, due to the power you're putting down. It's good insurance for your tranny, available from Paramount Performance. However, if you don't plan on driving it hard, you won't need to worry much.

amw5 08-25-2010 02:50 PM

Color schemes? That's definately a matter of preference...if you like red, go for it. Have you considered custom airbrushing? Some flames would be cool...

check this guy out... http://www.dandredesigns.com/

Chuck 08-25-2010 03:52 PM

Get a 426 ...Duh :D

Powdercoating the parts would look real nice. Maybe powdercoat the Vortech unit red or black.

philthyphil 08-25-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amw5 (Post 259061)
Have you taken a look at your plugs? Only go colder if you need to...you should have 2-3 threads heated (discolored) if you have more than that, then go cooler...less than that go hotter.

May want to have them check your water and oil pumps for proper pressure/oporation. Could go with an ugraded fuel pump, but you may not need it, for it depends on how much boost you're employing. Definately have all the fluids replaced, for you don't know how it was driven. You could have them crack the timing case and check your chain tensioner...some have failed, for they are plastic and prone to cracking. Replace your serpentine belt. May want to consider a boost upgrade pulley kit to get the most out of your supercharger (may require fuel pump upgrade). Since you're going on the dyno and may be doing some tune tweaking, you may want to consider ported heads and a moderate cam upgrade...would make sense to do both at this time, for you will definately need tuning...larger throttle body wouldn't hurt either.

Forgot to mention...may want to get a certified flex plate, due to the power you're putting down. It's good insurance for your tranny, available from Paramount Performance. However, if you don't plan on driving it hard, you won't need to worry much.

Thanks for the reply. I think for now I am gonna stick with the stock heads and cam until I need a built motor. I will hold off to get the ATI flex plate when I need the new trans(hopefully after this trip home). Instead of getting underhood pieces powdercoated I decided to have Bwoody get the chrome molding on the sides and rear painted black and get the front windows tinted and it detailed.

Thanks for the info on the water and oil pumps as well as the chain tensioner, I will talk to Mike about it. My girlfriend is picking the truck up on Wednesday afternoon and then picking me up at the Airport in it on Thursday morning. First drive of it, ever!

philthyphil 08-25-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 259091)
Get a 426 ...Duh :D

Powdercoating the parts would look real nice. Maybe powdercoat the Vortech unit red or black.

Deep down I hope they find damage to my motor to justify a built 393 or 426 with ported heads and a supercharger cam.

1BAMFR 09-16-2010 09:08 PM

Get a roll cage and a nitrous kit while you're there