Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Throttle bodies?! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/throttle-bodies-11978.html)

teekay1 08-16-2010 12:36 PM

Throttle bodies?!
 
What is the best and most afordable ported or bigger TB for my SRT??? does flyin ryan have one?!?!?

MISTERak 08-16-2010 02:10 PM

Re: Throttle bodies?!
 
For the money what is better, UD pulley or THE FASTMAN ported TB?

Mike_Levy 08-16-2010 02:25 PM

Re: Throttle bodies?!
 
The gains from a TB are temporary, and are caused by the mixture being leaned out. The stocker is more then big enough for a stock motor. Unless you have heads/cam and a ported manifold, you don't need anything bigger.

MISTERak 08-16-2010 02:30 PM

Re: Throttle bodies?!
 
What about extra gain through tune, throttle response, and we are located in DENVER so we need as much air as we can get! I'm not saying bigger is better, but I feel their is room for imporvement on the stock TB, especially on the backside.

maxst2 08-16-2010 08:12 PM

Re: Throttle bodies?!
 
Tell you ported and bored TB with my AFE intake on my 4.7L sure changed its low end and throttle response.

I was pretty sure that the computer would compensate for more air by adding more fuel... With more power is more fuel.. not less.

Mike_Levy 08-16-2010 11:25 PM

Re: Throttle bodies?!
 
Thats exactly what happens, the computer compensates by adding fuel, and the power goes away.

No idea how the altitude would effect it, but the computer is still gonna add fuel and kill any gains. You really need a CMR tune to adjust the AFR.

maxst2 08-17-2010 01:41 AM

Re: Throttle bodies?!
 
Well if you had a tune yeah. That's why I at least got a superchips.

FlyinRyan 08-17-2010 07:16 PM

Re: Throttle bodies?!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by teekay1 (Post 253327)
What is the best and most afordable ported or bigger TB for my SRT??? does flyin ryan have one?!?!?

We are finishing up a true 84mm TB for the 5.7/6.1 Hemi. I do not yet have pricing info, but it will be competitive/comparable to whats currently on the market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Levy (Post 253384)
The gains from a TB are temporary, and are caused by the mixture being leaned out. The stocker is more then big enough for a stock motor. Unless you have heads/cam and a ported manifold, you don't need anything bigger.

The gains are not temporary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MISTERak (Post 253387)
What about extra gain through tune, throttle response, and we are located in DENVER so we need as much air as we can get! I'm not saying bigger is better, but I feel their is room for imporvement on the stock TB, especially on the backside.

There is room for improvement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Levy (Post 253687)
Thats exactly what happens, the computer compensates by adding fuel, and the power goes away.

No idea how the altitude would effect it, but the computer is still gonna add fuel and kill any gains. You really need a CMR tune to adjust the AFR.

The PCM has a limited ability to compensate at WOT (open loop) for additional airflow. Adjusting AFR or not, additional airflow is additional airflow. Even if AFR stays the same (through the PCM's ability to compensate), if the engine is seeing X amount of additional airflow per combustion cycle then power will be increased by Y amount. Theres no argument however that a tune helps alot, because of the increased VE (by adding timing)

Mike_Levy 08-17-2010 08:31 PM

Re: Throttle bodies?!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepy4.7 (Post 254174)

The gains are not temporary.

Thats funny because the LX guys have dyno proof that says it is. And not only that, quite a few guys have seen power LOSSES from larger TBs.

I plan to reprove it as soon as I can get my hands on a stock TB. I run a 90mm Arrington, and if I see a gain or the same power when putting on a stocker, the argument is over, because my motor requires more air then any other N/A Stock displacement Hemi out there. If it can't pull a larger TB, none can.

I don't make claims without being able to prove them, so thats what I'm doing. I'm gonna see if I can borrow some ported ones from different companies too.

tugboatchad 08-18-2010 01:32 AM

Re: Throttle bodies?!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Levy (Post 254251)
Thats funny because the LX guys have dyno proof that says it is. And not only that, quite a few guys have seen power LOSSES from larger TBs.

I plan to reprove it as soon as I can get my hands on a stock TB. I run a 90mm Arrington, and if I see a gain or the same power when putting on a stocker, the argument is over, because my motor requires more air then any other N/A Stock displacement Hemi out there. If it can't pull a larger TB, none can.

I don't make claims without being able to prove them, so thats what I'm doing. I'm gonna see if I can borrow some ported ones from different companies too.

As you say the gains are only temporary, does this mean through your testing you will leave them on for x amount of time and re-dyno once you feel sufficient time has passed for the computer to adjust itself back to where you see no gains? Im very interested to see this proved one way or the other!

Mike_Levy 08-18-2010 02:01 AM

Re: Throttle bodies?!
 
I'm gonna run my truck, as is, first. Then I'll swap on a stocker, and run it again. I'll leave the stocker on for about a week, then run it again. Then depending on what I can get my hands on, I'll either put on a ported unit or go back to my 90mm Arrington before another run.

I have TTDyno, so I can make as many runs as I want. Its not a chassis dyno, but its proven to be within 3% of my chassis dyno results, with similar graphs, and to be repeatable, so its good enough for this comparison.

tugboatchad 08-18-2010 02:05 AM

Re: Throttle bodies?!
 
^^^ How soon till this begins? Im always on the hunt for mods that equal power while being able to keep me in warranty (ill swap it for servicing). Looking forward to your results. If you're wrong you post it right?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community