Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   8-shift gear and X package plus GPS (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/8-shift-gear-and-x-package-plus-gps-12012.html)

Angel 08-17-2010 03:20 PM

8-shift gear and X package plus GPS

Hi,

I just have 2 questions:

- I've read that for 2011 there is an 8-shift automatic gear announced for the 2011 Grand Cherokee ...did anybody hear about that? If so, when is it expected to be released, etc.

- I would like to buy a Laredo X package (x26). Is it actually possible to add GPS to the X package? If so, are the costs like abou $700 as when you want to add GPS to the Limited?

Thats it! Thanks in advance for the answers.

Angel

Technosavant 08-17-2010 03:23 PM

Re: 8-shift gear and X package plus GPS

1) There is yet no word on availability for the 8 speed transmission. It may not appear until the 2012 or even 2013 model years.

2) Yup. There's two to choose from, but right now the better one looks to be the 430N nav system, which should be less than the $700 730N RER nav.

Angel 08-17-2010 03:33 PM

Thank you!

...does the 430N (which I suppose is the GARMIN) need on any kind of contract i.e. monthly payment ...or is it running independently just like a portable GARMIN GPS?

...and why do you think the 430N is the better choice?

Angel

Scottina06 08-17-2010 03:53 PM

it runs independently and the map updates are cheap with Garmin. Read the specs on both the 430n and the 730n and you can see the difference. The 730n according to Jeep is the best. But it is really up to you which one fits your needs better. there is a thread here showing the differences in both units.

Angel 08-17-2010 04:12 PM

Great, thanks. Nice Forum!

Scottina06 08-17-2010 04:16 PM

it is our pleasure. We hope you hang around and post pics and participate in JG.org...even just to "shoot the breeze" with us! Great to have ya!

Jim Hef 08-17-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 254101)
...there is a thread here showing the differences in both units.

Can you link it to us? I just skimmed a few pages, and can't find a thread title that would give me that info.

Technosavant 08-17-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 254091)
Thank you!

...does the 430N (which I suppose is the GARMIN) need on any kind of contract i.e. monthly payment ...or is it running independently just like a portable GARMIN GPS?

...and why do you think the 430N is the better choice?

Angel

The only subscription involved would be for the Sirius NavTraffic feature- when it runs out, the nav will still work, but you won't get traffic updates.

IMO, the main feature of a nav system is the navigational capabilities itself- anything else is nice, but not near as important as good directions. Garmin is a recognized leader in this; their routing instructions are consistently the best. Many OEM type nav systems are only so-so in this; while I can't claim to have tested a Garmin unit against a Harmon one, I can tell you which one I'd trust.

According to well informed sources, the 730N RER will be replaced with a new unit (it will keep the 730N designation, but the three letter code will change) using the Garmin interface and navigation system while also keeping the extra goodies of the 730N (like split screen nav and stereo control).

J13ntv 08-17-2010 07:31 PM

As everyone else said.. I agree.. lol

BTW though Im not sure if this was said.. Milous stated the 8 speed "might" make it into the 2012 Jeep but not definite.

Angel 08-17-2010 07:34 PM

Thanks guys so far,

I checked out the Jeep website, there are two 430 media centers, the 430 RBZ and the 430 REN. Which one is the GARMIN? From the description on the website it is not clear to me.

Angel

P.S. And I will definitely keep you posted. Btw: my lease contract ends November 25. When would you guys recommend me to oder the WK2 so that I have it in my garage just in time?

J13ntv 08-17-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 254190)
Thanks guys so far,

I checked out the Jeep website, there are two 430 media centers, the 430 RBZ and the 430 REN. Which one is the GARMIN? From the description on the website it is not clear to me.

Angel

P.S. And I will definitely keep you posted. Btw: my lease contract ends November 25. When would you guys recommend me to oder the WK2 so that I have it in my garage just in time?

The 430N is the Nav unit in 2011's.

They have incentives for people coming out of leases.. Depending on what you order, it could take anywhere from 6-12 weeks or more to get in stock if ordered.. Also check out your dealer.. they may pay off the last couple of payments if you order a car like the X package and it comes in stock before, for example coming in month of October.. But to be honest, within the next month would more likely then not be close to when you want to think about ordering.. It could very easily not come in until Mid October/Beginning November.. However, the X package might very well be a dealer stock car you can find!

bh22jeep 08-17-2010 07:41 PM

I have the 430 and like it better then the 730N i have had i the past. It has some nice features for the satelite radio like rewind and favorite artist which I use all the time.