Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   05 Hemi coolant drip (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/05-hemi-coolant-drip-12016.html)

bluethunderjeep 08-17-2010 04:44 PM

05 Hemi coolant drip

I have noticed a couple small drips on my garage floor the past week that I thought was water from the A/C.
Turns out it was engine coolant. I crawled underneath, and it appears there has been a very small dribble that runs down the backside of the lower rad hose. There is no sign of coolant around the water pump, or the front of the engine. Could it be the lower hose needs replacing, or install a better clamp?

TIA;

Dave

hemi.jon 08-17-2010 04:49 PM

Re: 05 Hemi coolant drip

sometimes when the hose gets old it will dribble, you can try a worm drive clamp get it to seal a bit tighter first. If that doesnt stop it get a new hose.

bluethunderjeep 08-17-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi.jon (Post 254127)
sometimes when the hose gets old it will dribble, you can try a worm drive clamp get it to seal a bit tighter first. If that doesnt stop it get a new hose.

Just installed the worm drive clamp, I think I'll pick up a new hose just in case, as I don't remember them being too expensive. Only PITA is draining the coolant.
Thanks for your input!

Dave

bluethunderjeep 08-18-2010 08:03 AM

Hmmm... lower rad hose part number 55116868AA, number changes up twice and quadrupled in price from original number. Retail is $112.00 from dealer, my price is $79.00. I think I paid $16.00 for a 4.7 lower rad hose a few years back for my WJ.:mad:

Dave

cain45 08-18-2010 10:21 AM

For a piece of rubber hose??!! Holy crap.

bluethunderjeep 08-18-2010 11:43 AM

So this morning, I drained my cooling system, and removed the lower hose. I degreased it, and cut an inch off the water pump end where it was leaking. The hose is still like new, so I treated it with a vinyl/rubber dressing, and re-installed using gear clamps. So far, no drips; everything is dry.:)

Dave

Walt 08-18-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluethunderjeep (Post 254653)
So this morning, I drained my cooling system, and removed the lower hose. I degreased it, and cut an inch off the water pump end where it was leaking. The hose is still like new, so I treated it with a vinyl/rubber dressing, and re-installed using gear clamps. So far, no drips; everything is dry.:)

Dave

...and you still have $79 to do something else with! :thumbsup: Great. :clap:

hemi.jon 08-18-2010 02:00 PM

good to hear, a cheaper route for hose is maybe try napa if you need it in the future. even there you go go with an easy flex universal type hose and bend it how you want.

bluethunderjeep 08-18-2010 02:13 PM

The hose has the big spring inside so it won't collapse, so you would have to remove it to use in any aftermarket hose, I would assume.
I have driven about twenty miles today, and still no drips or weepage, nice and dry.

Dave

cain45 08-18-2010 04:04 PM

Congrats....glad you didn't have to buy that expensive hose.

bluethunderjeep 09-22-2010 10:48 AM

So I was still seeing the odd drip on my garage floor. Tightened the clamps, but still see the occasional drip every 2-3 days.
Today, I am replacing my EGR valve, and notice a drip fall from somewhere onto my lower rad hose. Low and behold, when I crawled underneath, I see a drop of coolant at the thermostat housing where it mates to the water pump. So I have a bad gasket, that's been the problem all along!
I shouldn't have to drain of ALL the coolant, right?

Dave

bluethunderjeep 09-22-2010 12:54 PM

Looking at the parts book, it appears the only gasket in that housing is the rubber one on the thermostat, so you have to replace the thermostat assembly?
IE: there is no housing paper gasket?

TIA;

Dave