Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Problems if front driveshaft removal? Ideas? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/problems-if-front-driveshaft-removal-ideas-12017.html)

AcidCold 08-17-2010 04:45 PM

Problems if front driveshaft removal? Ideas?

I have had a few front end issues for a wile even after a complete suspension overhaul with new control arms with new bushings and lower ball joins, i have had a few alignments and have had every bolt checked 3 times with nothing out of place. The only way to describe my problem... imagine yourself driving over a slightly bumpy road and have your wheels jerk left and right with the steering wheel barely moving with the wheels and hearing a loud clunk.

My question to all of you is, can i safely remove my front drive shaft and drive around town so that i can rule out the clunk coming from my drive shaft.
Now remember, my suspension required my front axle to be dropped and my cross member had to be cut to install a cross member reinforcement plate to allow the front drive shaft to drop without hitting the cross member.

Having QT-2 makes me think that it would be safe since i don't have electronic lockers, and the fact that the front diff will still be spinning along with the TC just maybe at a slightly different rotation? (The rear wheels might lose traction)
The only thing i see happening is the sensors lighting up the dash, I don't see any mechanical harm unless i am missing something?

Scottina06 08-17-2010 04:53 PM

Re: Problems if front driveshaft removal? Ideas?

I got some comments to make...but gotta run to a baseball game. Ill post later

DJ BoNiOmArIo 08-17-2010 05:22 PM

I dropped my front drive shaft without any problems, I only have QT1 but have not had any problems but as for ur setup not sure.

I only dropped mine to see if it'll affect MPG's and yes it did LOL

Good luck let's hope Scott can shine some light on this issue

dmlong47 08-17-2010 05:41 PM

superlift suspension?
if so:

(01-22-2010, 01:04 PM

AEV Dave
Administrator

The knuckles hit the strut at about 3/4 turn with some down travel extension. Its on all lifted WKs with Superlift knuckles...it was determined that the knuckle would be too weak if it were clearanced for it, so it was left in the pattern. It won't hurt anything but is slightly annoying.

dh)

and my cousin has a wj 2001 and he takes off the front drive shaft all the time to save gas, so he claims.

dmlong47 08-17-2010 05:42 PM

oh i dont get that pulling of the tires on mine, thats weird might be something with the power steering

AcidCold 08-22-2010 11:33 AM

After taking everything off and again checking every bolt, i still can't find my problem.
I can feel something shifting from side to side but i can't find any signs of where it's coming from.

So many tech guys in here and non with any ideas??

DJ BoNiOmArIo 08-22-2010 02:49 PM

scott hasn't posted back

AcidCold 08-22-2010 03:01 PM

Scott is not interested! lol

Scottina06 08-22-2010 03:10 PM

Im sorry Carlos....I forgot. Are you still gonna disconnect the front drive shaft?

AcidCold 08-22-2010 04:09 PM

No biggie Scott, I am hoping to do it this week, i needed a socket which i didn't have to remove my Superlift skid plate and mess with the drive shaft wile i am down there.
i guess we shall see what happens.