Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Technical Tips/DIY/How-To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/)
-   -   HOW DO I???? install SRT8 roof rack? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/how-do-i-install-srt8-roof-rack-12025.html)

06RC22 08-17-2010 07:56 PM

HOW DO I???? install SRT8 roof rack?

Is it as simple as installing the stock WK roof rack? 4 screws and thats it? I traded for a used set or SRT rails and he told me I need more double sided tape. I guess I dont understand what the double sided tape is for.

I just dont want to mess this up.

Any info would help.

Thanks

Sorry for the stupid question!

Robert Palmer 08-17-2010 08:00 PM

Re: HOW DO I???? install SRT8 roof rack?

The SRT roof rails are held down by screws but the plastic from screw to screw needs to be held down with 3m double sided tape.

Illustration via keyboard :D

X = Screw --- = plastic

X----------------X
X----------------X

the bottom of the -- part that sits on the paint is what is held down by tape. :)

Hope that helps. :)

DJ BoNiOmArIo 08-17-2010 08:02 PM

umm not sure taking a stab in the dark here but I think u need double sided tape to hold the sucker down and screw it in ??? LOL

06RC22 08-17-2010 08:02 PM

Thanks Joe. I wasnt sure if it was that simple. Im going to have them color matched before I put them on. Hopefully they look good!

Scottina06 08-17-2010 09:28 PM

have fun cleaning the used 3M tape off....LOL....BUT anyway...most of these wankers dont know that the SRT rails are two pieces. One piece has the 3M double sided tape that the actual cover slides on and then the rail cover. I have had mine off several times for paint etc and here is the best method I have found so far:

CLEAN the area where the rails are to be applied with alcohol or degreaser

1-slide the cover over the rail until it hits the stop on the cover.
2-pull the 3m tape red backing off til just about an inch sticks out from under the rail cover.
3-lay the rail and line up the holes-be careful with the little plastic covers on the rail cover. Sometimes they will fall off. They are important. Line those up with the hole as well so that your bolts dont have any problems going through the rail cover.
4-Now that you have all 4 holes lined up.....press the end with the tape pulled off firmly onto the roof and pull it back a couple more inches and press the rail down. Keep doing this along the length of the rail.
5-Now...carefully slide the rail cover off the taped base...careful not to pull the 3m tape off the roof.
5-start at one end and press the 3m taped base firmly on the roof. Heat it up a little with a hair dryer and then allow to cool. Do not get this wet for atleast 4-6 hours or overnight. The tape will "set" the best this way.
6-slide the rail cover back on the rail base and secure the screws. Use thread lock on the threads. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!

ltdan 08-17-2010 09:38 PM

Where can the double sided tape be found?

Scottina06 08-17-2010 09:40 PM

any autoparts store sells it. It has the red backing on it

06RC22 08-17-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 254292)
have fun cleaning the used 3M tape off....LOL....BUT anyway...most of these wankers dont know that the SRT rails are two pieces. One piece has the 3M double sided tape that the actual cover slides on and then the rail cover. I have had mine off several times for paint etc and here is the best method I have found so far:

CLEAN the area where the rails are to be applied with alcohol or degreaser

1-slide the cover over the rail until it hits the stop on the cover.
2-pull the 3m tape red backing off til just about an inch sticks out from under the rail cover.
3-lay the rail and line up the holes-be careful with the little plastic covers on the rail cover. Sometimes they will fall off. They are important. Line those up with the hole as well so that your bolts dont have any problems going through the rail cover.
4-Now that you have all 4 holes lined up.....press the end with the tape pulled off firmly onto the roof and pull it back a couple more inches and press the rail down. Keep doing this along the length of the rail.
5-Now...carefully slide the rail cover off the taped base...careful not to pull the 3m tape off the roof.
5-start at one end and press the 3m taped base firmly on the roof. Heat it up a little with a hair dryer and then allow to cool. Do not get this wet for atleast 4-6 hours or overnight. The tape will "set" the best this way.
6-slide the rail cover back on the rail base and secure the screws. Use thread lock on the threads. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!

Thanks Scott. I was planning on using some goo-gone to get the old tape off before I put new stuff back on. Hopefully that works alright.

This seems a little confusing without the rails in front of me but Im sure I will figure it out. I cant wait to get them in the mail. Scott, did you just have the rail cover painted or both pieces?

Scottina06 08-17-2010 11:41 PM

you just need the rail covers painted....the other part is hidden. It'll all make sense when you get them.

06RC22 08-17-2010 11:45 PM

Cool thanks for your help on this. Did your paint shop have any trouble painting the plastic? I dont think it would be too much to paint two rail covers.... hopefully not. Thanks again. Ill try to post pics when i have them done

Scottina06 08-18-2010 12:02 AM

nah....they are made from the same polyurethane plastic that bumpers are made from. They will just need sanded and smoothed, then painted. Any good shop can do this.

06RC22 08-18-2010 07:40 AM

Awesome thanks Scott.