Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Remote Start \Rear window defroster? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/remote-start-rear-window-defroster-12059.html)

\\WK2// 08-18-2010 10:05 PM

Remote Start \Rear window defroster?

Is it normal for the rear window defroster to come on when the remote start is used? Sounds like a good idea when itís cold out, but not when itís 90. Itís not that big of a deal because I just turn it off, but I would like to know if this is normal. Thanks
Larado - V6 - Off Road package I - Tow Package - Security and Convenience group.

Scottina06 08-18-2010 10:20 PM

Re: Remote Start \Rear window defroster?

the system is suppose to sense whether ac or heat is needed from what I understand. Is the heat or ac on when you get in after starting?

\\WK2// 08-18-2010 10:31 PM

I've been leaving the AC on, no heat. It's been in 90's here in Colorado for the last month. When I use the remote start everything comes the way I last left it, the exception being the rear defroster.

I also checked my EVIC and I do not have the "Remote Start Comfort Sys" option. Hmm... I wonder if this is only on the Limited & Overland. I'm pretty sure this is where you can fine tune things. I have a base Laredo, so maybe I'm SOL.

Maybe someone with a base laredo\remote start can chime in.

Scottina06 08-18-2010 11:04 PM

this is interesting. So you dont have remote start options...but your rear defrost comes on when you start? It could shorten the life of the rear defrost.....maybe this is something you could mention to your dealer and see what they say. Maybe another owner will chime in soon.

\\WK2// 08-18-2010 11:19 PM

Already asked the Jeep Service Manager and he had no clue. He gave me the ole' we haven't seen very many of these yet... That makes me feel good.

As a side note if you remote start it after it has sat for a while the rear defroster will come on every time, even if it's 98 outside. If I shut it down a few minutes later, including the rear defrost and then remote start again, the rear defrost will not come on.

Maybe it's just a basic system and does this by default. I will most likely be using the remote start in the winter, so this is not too big of a deal, but interesting indeed.

bh22jeep 08-19-2010 10:10 AM

The vehicle will sense inside temp and heat or cool if needed if you have Auto temp, not conected to rear defrost. Especially if it is 90.

bh22jeep 08-19-2010 11:12 AM

Has any one else seen this who has a WK2? I am going to double check mine.

jeepster23 08-19-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bh22jeep (Post 255374)
The vehicle will sense inside temp and heat or cool if needed if you have Auto temp, not conected to rear defrost. Especially if it is 90.

Are you sure? I thought that the Jeep uses ambient temperature to control the inside temperature(heat or a/c), seat temp(heat or ventilated), and activates rear defrost and mirror defrost as well if needed. The fact that it is 90 and they are being activated is a problem but it is in fact connected to the those functions.

bh22jeep 08-19-2010 11:43 AM

Ok I tried mine and had the same issue that the rear defroster came on.

bh22jeep 08-19-2010 11:45 AM

I have manual temp control so I do not think mine would be turning anything on.

White WK Swagga 08-19-2010 11:54 AM

With my jeep it'll put the heat or AC on depending on the temp. And the rear defrost and heated mirrors when the temp it cold.

Lingohocken 08-19-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bh22jeep (Post 255424)
Ok I tried mine and had the same issue that the rear defroster came on.

When the remote turns on the defroster, does it stay on indefinitely or eventually turn off automatically? Many rear-window defrosters will stay on for only a limited time because of high battery drain.