Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   OEM HID headlamps (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/oem-hid-headlamps-12082.html)

jvs0302 08-19-2010 08:42 PM

OEM HID headlamps

Will OEM HID headlamps just swap in on my 2010 GC Laredo? Does it require any special wiring etc?? I know they are expensive but Im actually considering it over trying to open my stock headlights and put in projectors with HIDs.

maxst2 08-19-2010 09:03 PM

Re: OEM HID headlamps

easiest would be get a housing w/o ballast and bulbs then a hid kit from a vendor here with two relays, on for each housing. being a '10 model it'll drop in easy.

Scottina06 08-19-2010 09:30 PM

the easiest way is to get the 08-10 headlamps and 2 relay harnesses from xenondepot. There is a write up in the how to forum as a sticky at the top of the page

jvs0302 08-19-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxst2 (Post 255677)
easiest would be get a housing w/o ballast and bulbs then a hid kit from a vendor here with two relays, on for each housing. being a '10 model it'll drop in easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 255693)
the easiest way is to get the 08-10 headlamps and 2 relay harnesses from xenondepot. There is a write up in the how to forum as a sticky at the top of the page

Scott, great writeup in the how to section - thanks for pointing me to it. I am assuming even though the writeup was for connecting 08-10 OEM HIDs to a 05-07 WK, that the same process would apply to my 2010 with stock halogen headlamps? Meaning I will have the same wiring and will need the same relays and 9006 connector etc?

Where is the best place to source OEM HID assemblies? Do you by any chance have part numbers so I can search online?

Scottina06 08-19-2010 10:50 PM

even though you have a 2010...you DONT have any of the wiring or connectors for the 08-10 HID headlamps. Just follow thew same write up for your 2010 as well. You will do it the same wayn and use the same stuff.

The best place for oem HID lamps is www.car-part.com The cheapest place I have found them new is moparpartsamerica.com The part #'s change so often...its hard to get one that works. Just search both those sites and they will come up.

SvenskaJeepGuy 08-20-2010 12:01 AM

do what scott suggested. i did it and it is supper easy, makes the jeep look better day and night. putting HIDs in the oem housing is terrible to other drivers, go with the projectors. i love mine, i got them on ebay and in the for sale thread for around $150 each.

SRTILL8 08-20-2010 08:04 AM

one thing to mention since i did this mod to my beast from the get-go.

when you wire it up, you will not have auto adjusting projectors. youll have to manually set it- youll lose the auto leveling function but it really doesnt matter to have it.

i dont need it, you wont either.

cheers -

jvs0302 08-20-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 255768)
even though you have a 2010...you DONT have any of the wiring or connectors for the 08-10 HID headlamps. Just follow thew same write up for your 2010 as well. You will do it the same wayn and use the same stuff.

The best place for oem HID lamps is www.car-part.com The cheapest place I have found them new is moparpartsamerica.com The part #'s change so often...its hard to get one that works. Just search both those sites and they will come up.

Excellent, thanks Scott. I am definitely going to go with new units for this setup. moparpartsamerica has a pretty good price - I am just comparing it to a few other sites before I pull the trigger

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 255837)
do what scott suggested. i did it and it is supper easy, makes the jeep look better day and night. putting HIDs in the oem housing is terrible to other drivers, go with the projectors. i love mine, i got them on ebay and in the for sale thread for around $150 each.

I agree with you here, HIDs require projectors if you are gonna do it the right way

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTILLA (Post 255895)
one thing to mention since i did this mod to my beast from the get-go.

when you wire it up, you will not have auto adjusting projectors. youll have to manually set it- youll lose the auto leveling function but it really doesnt matter to have it.

i dont need it, you wont either.

cheers -

Great tip, thank you. So do the headlamps themselves have manual adjustment knobs to set the projector level?

SvenskaJeepGuy 08-20-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvs0302 (Post 256083)
Great tip, thank you. So do the headlamps themselves have manual adjustment knobs to set the projector level?

yes, you just need a phillips head screwdriver to adjust them

jvs0302 08-21-2010 07:26 PM

thanks everyone for your help