Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   8 year 80 thousand catalytic converter warranty voided (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/8-year-80-thousand-catalytic-converter-warranty-voided-12088.html)

Shadohc 08-19-2010 10:16 PM

8 year 80 thousand catalytic converter warranty voided

2 Attachment(s)
I got a check engine light so it took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it for bad catalytic converters and told me they would be taken care of under warranty so they set me up a appt to come back so i dropped it off and a hour later i got a call and said they could not warranty because the flange was cut off this was not my doing I bought it like this and had to have my srt8 exhaust clamped together because it was cut off so if anyone is putting on a srt8 exhaust or any aftermarket dont cut that flange off or you will be screwed

Chaoul1 08-19-2010 10:18 PM

Re: 8 year 80 thousand catalytic converter warranty voided

Weld one back on! That sucks man!

Shadohc 08-19-2010 10:22 PM

yes it does i had it covered they did not have any problem with me having that exhaust there point was that the flange was cut off and could not be sent back like that to rebuilt

maxst2 08-19-2010 10:29 PM

meh... get some high flow cats on her now!

Shadohc 08-19-2010 10:33 PM

that is the route i have to go now do you have any part numbers that will not throw a code let me me know

Escape 08-19-2010 11:04 PM

That's a bummer man!

Couldn't be sent back to be rebuilt?

Sounds like some BS to me as that's a dual wall hydroformed section and to get those cats out would be a severe pain. So they are saying that they can get the cats out but can't weld on a new flange?

I have never heard of rebuilding a cat.

Shadohc 08-19-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 255777)
That's a bummer man!

Couldn't be sent back to be rebuilt?

Sounds like some BS to me as that's a dual wall hydroformed section and to get those cats out would be a severe pain. So they are saying that they can get the cats out but can't weld on a new flange?

I have never heard of rebuilding a cat.

that is correct they said they could not send them back and get credit they were not going to just replace the cats they were going to replace the hole y pipe and they are not going to weld a flange on as they only come with new y pipes i am going the route of having high flow instead of getting a new y pipe i guess that is why they charge a core charge

Escape 08-19-2010 11:32 PM

Do you have emissions where you are at?

Shadohc 08-19-2010 11:35 PM

yes i do i am just looking for something to replace them with

Mike_Levy 08-20-2010 02:23 AM

They can't legally void the emissions warranty. Its against the law. They need to replace them.

Shadohc 08-20-2010 08:13 AM

They said since the flange was cut off it has been modified not only did the dealer tell me this but i opened a case with jeep and they said the same thing

Joe in PA 08-20-2010 08:25 AM

Yes they can void the emissions warranty if there is any signs that the original system has been tampered with. They can also refuse to honor the warranty if you are running an aftermarket tune, as some turn off the O2 sensors that are designed to help protect the cats in order to produce more power.

Just the price that has to be paid if you wish to change the stock setups. If you want to play, you are going to need to be ready to pay. ;)