Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Belt Went Off the Pulleys (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/belt-went-off-the-pulleys-12110.html)

bullet700 08-20-2010 05:18 PM

Belt Went Off the Pulleys

Yo JeepBroz,
Yesterday I was driving my '05 Wk and all of a sudden my steering got really stiff as if the engine went off. Engine was still running and driving. a few seconds later i checked the temperature meter and things were on super-red-hot. so I stop and popped the hood just to notice that the long belt that goes around a couple of pulleys and the fan, which I supposed was some sort of timing belt, was loose and off the pulleys' track. I tried to put it back but it was too loose. it looks like the belt stretched or something. I was still able to drive it 100 yards to the next gas station. a mechanic is gonna be looking at it on monday.
what could be the deal here JeepBroz, what is that mechanic gonna be telling me?
thanx!

Escape 08-20-2010 05:30 PM

Re: Belt Went Off the Pulleys

As long as it didn't get to hot he will just put a new belt on, adjust the tension/idler pulley and your all set.

WSP Jeep 08-20-2010 05:39 PM

Sounds like you will be needed a new water pump, and they aint cheap. Sorry bro.

bullet700 08-20-2010 07:01 PM

yeah!! you guys both right... I won't lie. 2 weeks ago I was told my water pump was leaking, but that it wasn't a serious leak. i think it cost like $390 at the stealership so it should be less at the other mechanics to change the water pump. and that belt will definitely need new tension or so.
anything else this problem could be?

SvenskaJeepGuy 08-20-2010 07:23 PM

you will certainly need a new water pump and belt. i dont think it will be anything else.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 08-20-2010 11:31 PM

X2 on what these wankers said

soontobesrt 08-21-2010 01:50 AM

^^^ X3, anything more than that you should report back here with the details so we can input. You just cant trust mechanics now a days, book rates are redic anyway so he could just make up the simplest thing and have you for a few hundred bucks more! Once you find a good mechanic, stick with em. Family mechanics are always good too :)

Jim Hef 08-21-2010 12:49 PM

In the past, I've found that the dealer can sometimes be less expensive for certain jobs. The Chrysler book rate is sometimes less than the book rate that mechanics go by due to the length of time they allow. A mechanic unfamiliar with the work can take longer than the Jeep guy that sees the problem often, and if you are on hours, you could be billed more.

Depending on the mileage, I would also consider replacing the idler pulley. Not expensive, and will help in the future. Their bearings wear out also.

StoneCold 08-21-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Hef (Post 256549)
In the past, I've found that the dealer can sometimes be less expensive for certain jobs. The Chrysler book rate is sometimes less than the book rate that mechanics go by due to the length of time they allow. A mechanic unfamiliar with the work can take longer than the Jeep guy that sees the problem often, and if you are on hours, you could be billed more.

Depending on the mileage, I would also consider replacing the idler pulley. Not expensive, and will help in the future. Their bearings wear out also.

X2 on that! I've seen mechanics that charge a third of the dealer price, take three times longer.

It could just be the idler pulley that's seized. That'll throw the belt off. My tensioner seized and melted! Had exactly the same symptoms as you. Only a ten minute job to replace.

bullet700 08-23-2010 01:00 PM

So this monday morning the mechanic called. this is what he said:
-Tensioner melted (big up to StoneCold) , $120 to replace
-Belt is fine but he advices to replace, $35 to replace
-Total $280, i guess $110 for labor.
I don't know but sounds kinda ok, but something is weird about the pricing.
Oh, by the way, i have to mention this. my car broke down about 50 miles away from my mechanic. a tow-truck guy wanted to charge $375, another one $290 to get to my mechanic. I was like damn, these guys really think people piss money these days. So i went to U-Haul, got a tow-dolly, borrowed my girlfriend's '04 Dodge Durango 5.7, and the job was one for $42 + $5 gas. it felt good to have thought about this huuuuh!
anyway, back to the mechanic's pricing. what u think?

Jim Hef 08-23-2010 01:36 PM

No mention of replacing the leaking water pump?

StoneCold 08-24-2010 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullet700 (Post 257544)
So this monday morning the mechanic called. this is what he said:
-Tensioner melted (big up to StoneCold) , $120 to replace
-Belt is fine but he advices to replace, $35 to replace
-Total $280, i guess $110 for labor.
I don't know but sounds kinda ok, but something is weird about the pricing.
Oh, by the way, i have to mention this. my car broke down about 50 miles away from my mechanic. a tow-truck guy wanted to charge $375, another one $290 to get to my mechanic. I was like damn, these guys really think people piss money these days. So i went to U-Haul, got a tow-dolly, borrowed my girlfriend's '04 Dodge Durango 5.7, and the job was one for $42 + $5 gas. it felt good to have thought about this huuuuh!
anyway, back to the mechanic's pricing. what u think?

The belt tensioner is a ten to fifteen minute job. I bought a new belt when my tensioner melted, it was about 50 from the dealer (no one else locally had one).

Here are some pics of the carnage; http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php...belt+tensioner

I forget what the actual tensioner cost me, I'll check my receipts tonight and get back to you.