Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Want to do Double Din stereo install. Help? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/want-to-do-double-din-stereo-install-help-12114.html)

Djeazie 08-20-2010 07:52 PM

Want to do Double Din stereo install. Help?

Want to install my Kenwood double din from my old Ram.

Anyone know what mounting kit I need. What wire harness? Everywhere I look doesnt have the 2011 Grand Cherokee specifics yet.

Also who has pics of their installs? I also have 2 Alpine PDX amplifiers I need to find a place to mount. Any ideas? What subs and boxes are you guys using? Pictures would be AWESOME!!!

Thanks!!

Jim Hef 08-20-2010 10:21 PM

Re: Want to do Double Din stereo install. Help?

I doubt that anyone on here has done anything to the audio system at this point. You may want to look to see what guys have done with their WKs.

Scottina06 08-20-2010 10:50 PM

yeah...look at some of the 08-10 wk's.....they use the same audio systems

White Chocolate 08-20-2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djeazie (Post 256274)
Want to install my Kenwood double din from my old Ram.

Anyone know what mounting kit I need. What wire harness? Everywhere I look doesnt have the 2011 Grand Cherokee specifics yet.

Also who has pics of their installs? I also have 2 Alpine PDX amplifiers I need to find a place to mount. Any ideas? What subs and boxes are you guys using? Pictures would be AWESOME!!!

Thanks!!

What kind of audio headunit came in your 2011? Honestly, I wouldnt touch it, you have a top of the line system if its with the nav.

Id keep it in personally. Stock is better then an aftermarket deck, especially in the sweet '11 jeep

Djeazie 08-21-2010 05:11 AM

I have the base radio. Its nowhere near the fidelity my aftermarket stuff provides.

Jim Hef 08-21-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KlutcH (Post 256380)
...Stock is better then an aftermarket deck....

That's normally not the case at all. A $100 aftermarket headunit will almost always have better specs across the board than the OEM deck, if you can find specs for the stock stuff. Yes, the audio system is upgraded, and most of us will find it to our liking, how would you rattle the windows and mirrors in this Grand if you didn't fill the cargo area with sub enclosures??? ;)

White Chocolate 08-21-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Hef (Post 256487)
That's normally not the case at all. A $100 aftermarket headunit will almost always have better specs across the board than the OEM deck, if you can find specs for the stock stuff. Yes, the audio system is upgraded, and most of us will find it to our liking, how would you rattle the windows and mirrors in this Grand if you didn't fill the cargo area with sub enclosures??? ;)

I was speaking towards a headunit....

as for the OP, I didn't know you had the base unit.

Djeazie 08-21-2010 04:59 PM

Yea and nobody makes a mounting kit for the 2011 yet. The 2010 kit wont work. booooo.

White Chocolate 08-21-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Hef (Post 256487)

Also, I would like to make a point....

Your statement is invalid. Lets say you have the REC system in your truck, or the REN, RER systems. Does NOT necessarily mean your $100 cd player is better.

The last thing I would do is change out the factory head unit, HOWEVER I have not seen the 2011 BASE headunit, therefore, My assumptions towards it Im not going to make.

Jim Hef 08-21-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KlutcH (Post 256660)
...Does NOT necessarily mean your $100 cd player is better....

Having Nav added to a headunit doesn't make it play music any better! You are making me add this also: a $100 portable Garmin GPS will have more features than the stock headunit!!! :p

robpp 08-21-2010 05:26 PM

hey OP, when they do come out with harensses and adapters it will be costly.

i ahve an 07 added a AVIC F90BT. I wanted it all like factory. I spent over 300 just in interfaces, bezel, etc.

my opinion, wait until some rich guy replaces his Limited 2011 headunit andsee if you can adapt that. much cheaper in the long run. plus it will be 100% plug and p
lay.

Djeazie 08-21-2010 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 256667)
hey OP, when they do come out with harensses and adapters it will be costly.

i ahve an 07 added a AVIC F90BT. I wanted it all like factory. I spent over 300 just in interfaces, bezel, etc.

my opinion, wait until some rich guy replaces his Limited 2011 headunit andsee if you can adapt that. much cheaper in the long run. plus it will be 100% plug and play.

Yea I know it will be pricey, but to me its worth it. I did remove the factory headunit today and checked the wiring harness. I bought the PAC wire harness and SWI for the steering wheel controls to work. The wire harnesses seem to be the correct harnesses. Its just the headunit adapter that is incorrect. Guess I will just have to wait for someone to make a kit...........