Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   VIN sequence (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/vin-sequence-12126.html)

Paul Appell 08-21-2010 08:44 AM

VIN sequence

I have a overland in D status that was ordered on July 19. VIN 534870
I was hoping to get a estimate of when it would be built. I did a new vehicle search through the Jeep site and found 23 overlands within 200 miles of me. What interested me was the VIN for the vehicles. One of the local dealers has a Grand Limited that they got early that has a VIN of 500866. One of the overlands on a dealers lot has a VIN of 531137. Are the VIN sequential? Does every jeep off the line has a VIN of one greater than the one before it? If so, then there has been 30,271 jeeps produced between the oldest 2011 on a lot compared to the newest. It also means that 3743 vehicles are ahead of me. I am sure that availability of parts etc mean that they do not go down the line exactly according to the VIN sequence, but could it be an indicator of how soon ones vehicle may be built?

Technosavant 08-21-2010 09:09 AM

Re: VIN sequence

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Appell (Post 256480)
I have a overland in D status that was ordered on July 19. VIN 534870
I was hoping to get a estimate of when it would be built. I did a new vehicle search through the Jeep site and found 23 overlands within 200 miles of me. What interested me was the VIN for the vehicles. One of the local dealers has a Grand Limited that they got early that has a VIN of 500866. One of the overlands on a dealers lot has a VIN of 531137. Are the VIN sequential? Does every jeep off the line has a VIN of one greater than the one before it? If so, then there has been 30,271 jeeps produced between the oldest 2011 on a lot compared to the newest. It also means that 3743 vehicles are ahead of me. I am sure that availability of parts etc mean that they do not go down the line exactly according to the VIN sequence, but could it be an indicator of how soon ones vehicle may be built?

You're likely waiting. I doubt the VINs are sequential. There's a thread in the site supporters forum where a bunch of us are having our orders tracked (PM Milous if you don't show there). My Overland 4x4 (V-6 engine) was ordered July 10 and still is in D1 status (sequenced for production, waiting to proceed down the line), where it has been for a bit over 5 weeks now.

Paul Appell 08-21-2010 09:17 AM

I attempted to PM Milious a couple of times, but got a message that I can not do the PM until I have posted 10 times on the website. Tempted to just post a bunch of time wasting posts to get to 10, but did not.

Paul Appell 08-21-2010 09:25 AM

Milous, sorry about the spelling. I am used to getting parts for our Deere combines and tractors which have numbers that are sequential. Makes it easy to tell when it was built, as well as which parts are required as they change over time at the factory.

Jim Hef 08-21-2010 11:12 AM

There's no reason to believe that the last digits are not sequential...that would only be reasonable, and the norm. I could see that there are Overlands that are assigned a VIN, but not built, and come off the line with that VIN being before one that was produced and delivered.

J13ntv 08-21-2010 11:20 AM

I know of an Overland 4x4 which starts with Serial # 518.. Just finally being loaded onto a railcar for dealer stock.. So I assume they are sequenced and since my order isn't until 537 I have a ways to go...

Marlon_JB2 08-21-2010 11:37 AM

They are nowhere near sequential. I always thought VINs WERE sequential. Then I started working there and quickly learned that they are not. Oh and also, the number of them that has been produced is pretty close to your estimate. :)

Jim Hef 08-21-2010 12:44 PM

Do you have an explanation for that, or could it be as I stated above, the ordering sequence, not the build?

Marlon_JB2 08-21-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Hef (Post 256548)
Do you have an explanation for that, or could it be as I stated above, the ordering sequence, not the build?

No explanation. I'm slowly figuring all of this out.

ostroveni 08-21-2010 12:57 PM

"A Vehicle Identification Number, commonly abbreviated to VIN (but sometimes incorrectly referred to as VIN number), is a unique serial number used by the automotive industry to identify individual motor vehicles. Prior to 1981, there was no accepted standard for these numbers, so different manufacturers used different formats.
Since 1981, VINs consist of 17 characters which do not include the letters I (i), O (o), or Q (q) (to avoid confusion with numerals 1 and 0)."

VIN includes:
World Manufacturer Identifier
Vehicle Attributes
Check Digit
Model Year
Plant Code
Sequential Number

Steeler 08-21-2010 01:55 PM

There were Challengers built and delivered with Higher VIN numbers before mine.

Jim Hef 08-21-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ostroveni (Post 256558)
...Sequential Number

There you go...government mandate!!! :rolleyes: