Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   suspension clunking (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/suspension-clunking-12173.html)

JRsmoothee 08-22-2010 10:01 PM

suspension clunking

so i noticed after getting my bwoody springs installed that when on turn on an incline i get some really bad clunking (in the front only) like something is loose......anybody have this problem with their woodys or did the installer not tighten sh*t up......it wasnt noticable at first but is getting progressively more frequent and worse

hemi.jon 08-22-2010 10:04 PM

Re: suspension clunking

sounds like your wheel would be hitting, or your bottoming out.

JRsmoothee 08-22-2010 10:07 PM

no i've looked underneath and have seen no rubbing at all......it happens when turning on flat ground also

hemi.jon 08-22-2010 10:11 PM

could be something loose, id double check everything.

robpp 08-22-2010 10:19 PM

there are posts about the top nut not being tightened all the way......the one that cmpresses the spring.

06HemiLtd 08-22-2010 10:32 PM

i put on bilsteins and within a day started having all sorts of clunking. ended up being the bushings on the sway bar end links. unfortunately, you can't replace the bushing. you have to replace the entire end link. that was at 40k miles. it's been clunk free for 8 months and 5k miles.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 08-23-2010 12:20 AM

sway bar links or what Rob said, also when u installed the bwoodys did you cut the rubber mount in half?

soontobesrt 08-23-2010 12:51 AM

I have the notorious "clunking" as well, noticed after srt bilsteins and bwoodys were put on. Im thinking its the sway bar d mount needing some lube or where the end links hook up to them. Lube should solve it, I have all new bushings so cant see them being bad. In your case, could be worn out, how may miles? Id lube anything/everything up and see it it goes away. Im gonna do it soon myself, will keep you guys posted.

amw5 08-23-2010 07:17 AM

Ah man, you guys have me worried, for I'm picking up my Jeep from the dealer this afternoon...had the RM springs with 1.3 rears installed. I have BW end links, so hopefully there will not be any clunking. I hope what you guys are experiencing is not the actual spring rate of the springs bottoming out!?! It better not be, for I'm swapping out some perfectly good Eibachs for these RMs.

BTW, if anyone wants a set of Eibachs, I'll let them go for a good price...as always!

DJ BoNiOmArIo 08-23-2010 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amw5 (Post 257382)
Ah man, you guys have me worried, for I'm picking up my Jeep from the dealer this afternoon...had the RM springs with 1.3 rears installed. I have BW end links, so hopefully there will not be any clunking. I hope what you guys are experiencing is not the actual spring rate of the springs bottoming out!?! It better not be, for I'm swapping out some perfectly good Eibachs for these RMs.

BTW, if anyone wants a set of Eibachs, I'll let them go for a good price...as always!

you got the good links so u should be fine

JRsmoothee 08-23-2010 08:06 PM

i wouldnt think my bushings would be worn out already my jeep only has 5500 miles on it and roughly 300 miles after the woodys were installed

uncletom162 01-08-2012 08:57 PM

so did anyone have any fixes for this problem? I have this problem now. i checked the ball joints and everything appears to be normal. i was putting my back into it with the shaking of the tire in the 3 and 9 oclock and 12 and 6 checking for any wiggle from the ball joints. any they are all solid. if i wiggle really hard in the 3 and 9 postion with 1 or both tires in the air i hear a small clunk in the rack and pinion, but i have no idea if thats just the internals moving around. or should there be zero sound of any parts moving around internally in the rack?