Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   DAMN JEEP! In the shop again (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/damn-jeep-in-the-shop-again-12244.html)

06RC22 08-24-2010 06:52 PM

DAMN JEEP! In the shop again

Well last night after playing 36 holes of golf up in Vail, I was driving home and all of a sudden the jeep had no power, it was misfiring terribly and my check engine light came on and was flashing. So I pull over and it completely stalls out. It will barely restart and is misfiring so bad it stalls again. Well I have it towed.

Last year I had to put a new 3.7L in due to multiple problems that lead to a cracked piston.... Anyway, we pull it in the shop and pull the coil in cylinder 3 (where i had a misfire code). The coil and plug are in good shape but the plug looks too dark like it is running too rich in that cylinder. We do a pressure test and I have absolutely no compression in that cylinder, NONE at all. The other cylinders on that bank have good pressure which was good. We put the scope in and see that both valves will open, but neither valve is closing all the way. So we pull the valve cover and sure enough the valve spring is busted. Anybody else have this problem or have heard of this being common on the 3.7L??

Just seems like its one thing after another with my jeep. Luckily it was all covered under jasper warranty on the motor, and the valves werent bent and there was no damage to the piston. We still have to get it running to tell if there was any other damages caused to the O2 sensors or the Cats from the excess fuel being dumped into the cylinder and not being combusted. PAIN IN THE ASS. Jasper isnt willing to cover tow charges or rental car charges either so really its still gonna cost me.

just thought I would vent......

Marlin 08-24-2010 07:32 PM

Re: DAMN JEEP! In the shop again

Bloody hell, I've never once heard of that isue on one of these mate!

Sounds like you're one of the unlucky ones and have yourself a Friday afternoon built car!

06RC22 08-24-2010 07:55 PM

no kidding!!!!!! I told the guys at my dads shop the same thing today when we were pulling the valve cover!

DJ BoNiOmArIo 08-25-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 258513)
Bloody hell, I've never once heard of that isue on one of these mate!

Sounds like you're one of the unlucky ones and have yourself a Friday afternoon built car!

LOL @ Friday afternoon built car I think mine is on that line up too LOL

Randall - Dang bro that sux never ever heard of such an issue either ... urs is unlucky LOL

White Chocolate 08-25-2010 09:07 AM

Dude that sucks, at least they are fixing it, that would suck if you had to lay down coin for it!

CPT2010 08-25-2010 09:13 AM

Tell the dude that you want him to pay half of the tow and rental car charges.
It was his work that failed, and its under warrenty.
Especially if your jeep is in the shop for 2 weeks..
I would say he is full of sh*t as a honest business man if he wont help you out

Asativa 08-25-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPT2010 (Post 258812)
Tell the dude that you want him to pay half of the tow and rental car charges.
It was his work that failed, and its under warrenty.
Especially if your jeep is in the shop for 2 weeks..
I would say he is full of sh*t as a honest business man if he wont help you out

unless the guy physically built the motor himself, it wasnt his work that failed, he was just the installer. Jasper engines are one of the finest reman motors u can buy, but as installers, we can only be as good as the parts we install. i would recommend contacting jasper for reimbursement for towing or rental cars. when u originally purchased the jasper engine, u had the option to purchase the enhanced warranty that covered towing and rental along with fluids and a higher labor reimbursement rate. even if you didnt purchase that, it has been my experience that jasper reps will work with you. call them directly and let them know ur situation.
andy

06RC22 08-25-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asativa (Post 258888)
unless the guy physically built the motor himself, it wasnt his work that failed, he was just the installer. Jasper engines are one of the finest reman motors u can buy, but as installers, we can only be as good as the parts we install. i would recommend contacting jasper for reimbursement for towing or rental cars. when u originally purchased the jasper engine, u had the option to purchase the enhanced warranty that covered towing and rental along with fluids and a higher labor reimbursement rate. even if you didnt purchase that, it has been my experience that jasper reps will work with you. call them directly and let them know ur situation.
andy

its actually my dads shop that did the work. It was Jasper who wouldnt cover the tow and rental car charges. After talking with them they did agree to help with half of the tow charge and the shop will eat the other half. My worry is that they INSISTED that if this problem caused damages to other parts (for instance o2 sensor or cats) that they would NOT cover it... which sucks

Asativa 08-25-2010 12:45 PM

Ya that sux, hopefully everything else will b ok. I have never heard of any warranty that would cover consequential damages tho

06RC22 08-25-2010 03:08 PM

you would think it would be covered though. I mean the consequential damage would not have happened if the original part would not have failed. Maybe that is just my thinking around it.

FlyinRyan 08-25-2010 03:31 PM

I have heard of 3.7/4.7/4.7HO motors breaking valve springs, it is a rare problem but it does happen. I was always very nervous about my shift points when racing for that reason, as my truck made power well beyond the factory shift points.