Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Streaming Radio Stations Coming? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/streaming-radio-stations-coming-12283.html)

Lingohocken 08-25-2010 11:40 PM

Streaming Radio Stations Coming?

A WSJ article indicates that Chrysler, along with Ford, VW and GM, are moving to incorporate WiFi hotspots in future vehicles, apparently soon. This would allow for access to tens of thousands of Internet (e.g., Pandora) and simulcast radio stations with countless formats from throughout the country and world instead of just free local AM/FM and fee-based satellite radio. Many of these stations, which most folks already enjoy from PCs and portable devices, have no or few ads.

The stations themselves are overwhelmingly free, of course, or tiered (free with ads, paid without) like Live 365. But there would be the usual requirement of a data cellphone service, which some folks already have for smartphones but others still don't.

Technosavant 08-26-2010 08:51 AM

Re: Streaming Radio Stations Coming?

If you were ordering the wifi anyway, then it might not be a bad idea. Heck, many smartphones will currently do that kind of streaming now, so you wouldn't even need the hotspot or the capability built in- just jack in your phone.

However, that will eat up data bandwidth rather quickly, so I'd recommend using it sparingly.

dubwarren 08-26-2010 10:37 AM

It would be nice to be able to get to pandora using just your in dash radio.....with the audio jack though you can play pandora through your speakers.....but man it'd be nice to not have to use a cell to do it.....

HemiDawg 08-26-2010 11:08 AM

This can be done using Bluetooth stereo connection - I use Bluetooth stereo headphones with my Touch Pro and my iPod. They just have to build the head unit to pick up the signal. I think Buick is already advertising one of their vehicles having this capability.

This was mentioned on the radio the other day - once internet streaming of stations becomes mainstay, satellite radio will go bye-bye.

Technosavant 08-26-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiDawg (Post 259525)
This was mentioned on the radio the other day - once internet streaming of stations becomes mainstay, satellite radio will go bye-bye.

Or so the terrestrial stations hope and prostrate themselves before their gods every night.

I don't see it happening, myself. It just won't be cost effective. A cell data connection costs what, $30/month? That's well over double what one sat radio costs, and you can run three sat radios for that price while getting change back. On top of that, the sat radio works anywhere in the continental US, that's more than one can say for a cell phone data connection. Cell data plans are no longer unlimited, so you also have to be concerned with just how much you're using it- overage drives up the cost rather considerably all by themselves.

While online streaming gives better variety, it loses attractiveness rather rapidly once you have to listen for extended periods or you get out into the sticks. A decent alternative if you have the means, sure, but just one of many options and hardly something that will kill off any of the other options.

Jim Hef 08-26-2010 03:52 PM

UConnect Web

The included pamphlet in the sales brochure shows a person holding an iPad in the passenger seat. Above, it states UConnect Web "is available". "This sytem provides high speed data transfer and flexibility, combining Wi-Fi and cellular connectivity for a new level of wireless technology that transforms your vehicle into a Mobile HotSpot to access the internet directly wherever you are."

Is that for beaming wireless to your laptop or tablet, or does this work in conjunction with the headunit to use for Pandora or other music/radio station streaming? Anyone familiar with this and it's possible subscription cost?