Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   2 Questions. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/2-questions-12307.html)

NHWK05 08-26-2010 05:21 PM

2 Questions.

First. To anyone who has changed the front sway bar links, Have you ever had a really hard time re threading or tightening the lower A arm bolt? When i was changing out my struts i had a hell of a time trying to get it to tighten up. I was fearing that i was going to strip out the Cast A arm or snap the bolt. I had the link disconnected from the sway bar and i was just trying to put the bolt back in. There was no corrosion on the bolt or the arm. I lubed it up really well with anti seize lube and had to tighten it, then loosen it then tighten it a bit more then loosen then tight and so on until it was in. IT WAS NOT CROSS THREADED.

Second. I am wiring up my new behind the grille lights and i dont like to just use a fuse with my lights and accessories. I much prefer to use a relay. Its been a while since ive done any wiring and i cant seem to get it right.

Can you please tell me which number goes to what.

If i recall correctly,

87 to Lights
30 to fuse and power source
85 to ground
86 to switch.

Then the switch needs a ground, the wire from the relay and power from the accessory (on/off) to activate switch light and make sure i dont leave them on after i shut the jeep off.

maxst2 08-26-2010 06:18 PM

Re: 2 Questions.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97016_91.htm

take an easy way out on the wiring. lol

NHWK05 08-26-2010 06:27 PM

Im all set with that. Ive already got most of the wiring in the wk done. Id rather build a nice HD wiring harness then spend $40. I am using heavier gauge wire too.

I searched online and i i keep finding different answers as to what wire goes to each lead on the relay.

Maybe i will just ask lips.

maxst2 08-26-2010 06:42 PM

What kinda lights did ya end up getting? Also... HOW-TO is required lol

NHWK05 08-26-2010 07:09 PM

I have a thread in the visual mods section i think, if you want pics. Either that or its in here in the wk section. I forgot, i will try to bump it for you.

I had a brand new set of 7" Hella 500FF lights that i had on my lifted XJ for only a few months before i took them off when i parted out the jeep. Now i have them mounted behind my grille on my wk.

maxst2 08-26-2010 08:50 PM

Sexy

BillC 08-27-2010 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Relay wiring: 85 and 86 are the relay coil. 30 is common and 87 is NO, 87a is NC.

NHWK05 08-27-2010 07:55 PM

I followed that same diagram today and they still are not working. I have my Lights connected to the ground and then if i take the pos wire and touch the pos battery terminal they turn on fine. Then if i take the fused + wire from the battery, connect to 30, 87 is connected to the + wire from the lights, 85 is grounded and 86 to the switch. Switch is then grounded. I get nothing. Ive tried 3 different relays and every time i get nothing. I checked with my multi meter and my ground is good, i have power to the relay but the lights dont turn on.

BillC 08-28-2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 260276)
I followed that same diagram today and they still are not working. I have my Lights connected to the ground and then if i take the pos wire and touch the pos battery terminal they turn on fine. Then if i take the fused + wire from the battery, connect to 30, 87 is connected to the + wire from the lights, 85 is grounded and 86 to the switch. Switch is then grounded. I get nothing. Ive tried 3 different relays and every time i get nothing. I checked with my multi meter and my ground is good, i have power to the relay but the lights dont turn on.

If 85 is grounded, you need to put + to 86. You may connect 30 and 85 together then ground 86 through your switch. You need to complete the circuit through the relay coil....

NHWK05 08-28-2010 09:06 PM

Wow i wish i understood electronics better. I know what your saying is right but it completely confuses me.

So ground 85, 12v + to 30 and 86 and 87 to the lights? So 2 wires to 86? 1 + to it and then on from it to the switch?

How exactly should i wire this up? What to where?