Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   transmission lurches when putting into park (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/transmission-lurches-when-putting-into-park-12311.html)

gc4x4 08-26-2010 09:06 PM

transmission lurches when putting into park

I almost had the crap scared out of me an hour ago when I parked my jeep on a slight incline nose down and when I put it in park the vehicle lurched forward and almost hit the car in front of me, i set the emergency brake and shut the car off and turned it back on and shifted thru the gears and put it back into park and it seemed fine. Is it normal for the vehicle to lurch forward after you put it in park or do I have an issue? Im afraid this thing is going to pop out of gear or something.
PS.. the hill wasn't steep enough to even need the parking brake.

Marlin 08-26-2010 09:10 PM

Re: transmission lurches when putting into park

normal.

imagine it as a gear that has a pin engaging to hold it when you put it in park. The pin is a sloppy fit, allowing some movement.

All auto vehicles are the same.

gc4x4 08-26-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 259843)
normal.

imagine it as a gear that has a pin engaging to hold it when you put it in park. The pin is a sloppy fit, allowing some movement.

All auto vehicles are the same.

For such an expensive vehicle, I would think Chrysler would make the transmission alot stouter when you put it into park, of all the cars I have driven, even my old jeep wj, Ive never had them lurch forward when you put them into park like this one does.:confused:

Marlin 08-26-2010 10:00 PM

If it's really outrageously bad, you may have a broken pawl, but I highly doubt it.

jwatts400 08-26-2010 10:02 PM

I had something similar when placing into drive. Plus park, reverse, neutral, and drive lights had boxes around them all. Turned off and back on and all was good. Then i noticed while driving i took my foot off the gas and the trany made a clunking sound. Took it to dealer and it wound up being a CPU issue (shift control module) covered under warranty but 800 to fix regular. You may have the beginnings of that issue i would get it checked out !!!!!

GR33N D3M0N 08-26-2010 10:36 PM

^^^for $800 u need to find a new dealer, it cost me $500...but the lurching forward, as Ben stated, is just the car being put into park...happens to me all the time...Good Luck

gc4x4 08-27-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.7L wk (Post 259901)
^^^for $800 u need to find a new dealer, it cost me $500...but the lurching forward, as Ben stated, is just the car being put into park...happens to me all the time...Good Luck

I guess ill just have to get used to it, because I talked to the service dept at the dealer and they told me it does that on all Chrysler vehicles because of the shift interlock that engages to keep the shifter from being used without the brake pedal pressed.:rolleyes:

maxst2 08-27-2010 01:14 PM

Well... you were on a hill... that'll really amplify the "lurch".

gc4x4 08-27-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxst2 (Post 260170)
Well... you were on a hill... that'll really amplify the "lurch".

It must be that I havent noticed it because I never parked in a way that would cause it to be noticed, I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't going to pop out of gear like my moms old 04 WJ did(which ended up having a recall for it).

GR33N D3M0N 08-27-2010 01:44 PM

If u slowly let off the brake, u probably won't notice it

DJ BoNiOmArIo 08-27-2010 02:31 PM

that's still funny though that it lurches like that mine never did that it only did that when i would put it on drive when i had shifter assembly issues but nothing else ...

Chuck 08-27-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.7L wk (Post 259901)

Lurching happens to me too.