Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Removing Calipers and Cleaning Rotors (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/removing-calipers-and-cleaning-rotors-12373.html)

WK05 08-28-2010 11:05 PM

Removing Calipers and Cleaning Rotors

Are the calipers easy to remove? What would be the best thing for me to clean my rotors with?

Scottina06 08-28-2010 11:07 PM

Re: Removing Calipers and Cleaning Rotors

they re just held on by two bolts

why are you cleaning the rotors? Brake cleaner should be fine on the rotors and then hit the face with some very light sandpaper....

maxst2 08-28-2010 11:45 PM

You should get the rotors turn if they are set to do so.

WK05 08-28-2010 11:46 PM

What do you mean by get them to turn?

soontobesrt 08-29-2010 12:23 AM

J/C, why are you cleaning the rotors? They dont get dirty per say unless there is some gunk build up in your pad assembly in which case you may want to disassemble that whole thing and clean like Scott said. If you are having some shudder or it pulls to one side under braking though, they may be warped and need to be cut by a shop. Is there scarring on the face? It is normal for rotors to look beat up, they do go through hell lol.

WK05 08-29-2010 12:30 AM

I just want to get all that rust off. It just looks horrible.

Scottina06 08-29-2010 12:33 AM

I sandEd my SRT rotors and used the G2 caliper paint on the non-contacT areas. It still looks great after 2.5 yeaRS

WK05 08-29-2010 01:05 AM

How did you make sure the paint didnt get in the contact areas? Also, how long did the process take you? When could you dive next, and what did you tape off?

WK05 08-29-2010 04:44 PM

So, the Rotors, and part of the calipers are done, and they look soo great. That rust killed the look. I am in the process of making a stencil for painting the edge of the calipers. Any ideas on how to do so? Can I Polish the rotors in any way?

yousmellfunnytoo 08-30-2010 08:09 AM

I just replaced all 4 of my rotors... use masking tape on the surface so it doesnt get onto the contact area, then use some hi temp caliper paint. I picked some black VHT up for like 6 bucks and did 2 coats on 4 rotors, front and back, and the 2 front brackets the hold the calipers in place.

It looks so much nicer not seeing rust...

WK05 08-30-2010 03:10 PM

How much werre you rotors? Is it easy to completely take off the rotors?

Jim Hef 08-30-2010 04:01 PM

Measure the rotor hat, scribe a circle of that diameter onto a thin chipboard, and then cut out the circle. Lay it over the braking surface, and you don't need to mask anything. A bit of overspray will come off with the application of the first braking.

To pull the rotors, you need to unbolt the calipers. Simple enough, and just be sure to hang the caliper on a suspension part and don't let it pull on the brake line.