Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   "Break In" Period (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/break-in-period-12406.html)

madden0010 08-30-2010 09:19 AM

"Break In" Period

Hey everyone, new to the forum...bought my WK2 about a month ago and picking it up today (hopefully, waiting for that call from the dealer) 3.6L Dark Charcoal Laredo X with Pano Sunroof.

I'm sure this will have people on both sides of the discussion but how does everyone feel about "Break In" periods, and more specifically for the WK2. I've heard several arguments on both sides saying drive it hard from the start it doesn't matter or give it 3-5000 miles to "Break In".

Being an engineer myself I can understand somewhat of a "break in" period to get fluids/grease distributed well, let components thermal cycle a few times, etc... but I can't see that taking 5000 miles, all of these things seem like they would balance out in the first couple days of driving.

Thoughts??

darkrt 08-30-2010 09:32 AM

Re: "Break In" Period

Congrats on the new ride. Break in period should be in the owners manual. I believe its go easy for the first 500 mi.

madden0010 08-30-2010 10:24 AM

Thanks, it's been delayed over a month now so I'm ready to finally get my hands on it...

500 sounds much more reasonable, I will look at the manual and see what it says. Thanks for the tip-

Jim Hef 08-30-2010 10:26 AM

Being "old school", I would stick to the old ways, and run easy for the first 1k. Change oil and filter, and then do what you want with it. Here's the Owner's manual version:

"A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided."

DavidB 08-30-2010 10:27 AM

Ive always broke in my vehicles the same way I would drive them. I dont trash them but I will drive them. If there going to break let it happen right away:D

5.7Unlimited 08-30-2010 10:30 AM

I would naturally go a little easy on a brand new vehicle anyways so I think that would be considered my break in period. Also, make sure to get some pics for us, I haven't seen any 'real' pics of a gray 2011 Grand Cherokee yet :)

Scottina06 08-30-2010 10:37 AM

congrats on the awesome new 2011! I hope we get some pics!

Technosavant 08-30-2010 10:51 AM

I generally observe the "take it easy for 500 miles" rule. I try not to floor it from start (although I do rev it up here and there), I avoid constant speeds for an extended period, and I generally be nice to it.

I don't know if the oil change after break-in is as necessary anymore- it can't hurt, but I don't know if it's a huge help.

Angel 08-30-2010 10:57 AM

Hey madden0010 - please post pictures of your car! That's the meat of this forum.
Angel

chibianh 08-30-2010 10:58 AM

i'll break mine in on some trails.. :)

Jim Hef 08-30-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 261173)
...it can't hurt, but I don't know if it's a huge help.

Agreed, and most will tell you it's not necessary any longer because manufacturing tolerances are so much better now, but I still take the cheap route, although I add the synthetics at that 1k change. It follows logic that the synth won't allow a break-in as quickly as regular oil if it truly is a better lubricant.

madden0010 08-30-2010 11:35 AM

Trust me, I will be posting plenty of pictures once I actually get the vehicle...still keeping my fingers crossed for today. The month long delay has been driving me nuts, really looking forward to the color...

Thanks for all the tips, seems about what I was thinking...