Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Flex-a-lite Zinc anode (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/flex-a-lite-zinc-anode-12410.html)

Frango100 08-30-2010 11:56 AM

Flex-a-lite Zinc anode

Has somebody already installed the flex-a-lite radiator Zinc Anode on a 4.7,to prevent galvanic corrosion to the cooling system components? Just received mine, but it does not fit on the radiator drain valve, as it should according the acompanying paper. Also the radiator housing seems to be from plastic where the valve is mounted, which would prevent the Zinc Anode to function.
Thinking about to let a shop make an adapter to make it fit into the cooling system bleed plug. Anyone other ideas?

robpp 08-30-2010 01:51 PM

Re: Flex-a-lite Zinc anode

yeah. throw it away and flush the system every 2-3 years and dont look back.

maybe nd thats a BIG MAYBE if your jeep was brand new. Its 10 years old, its too late. corrosion happened.

Escape 08-30-2010 02:59 PM

Use a premixed coolant or if your mixing it yourself use distilled water and you will never have an issue.

Putting an anode in the system will cause you problems. As it attacks and eats the anode the dissolved anode material will form a sludge that could block passages.

Frango100 08-30-2010 11:39 PM

Ofcourse it would have been better to install the Anode from the beginning, but it was not. The car is still running as new, so eventual corrosion didnīt do too much harm yet. But at least i can prevent future problems by using the Anode. The galvanic corrosion is happening when we have 2 different metals connected to each other and an electrolyte, in our case iron and aluminium and the cooling liquid as the electrolyte. Changing the liquid every 2 or 3 years will not solve anything in this case. The metal with the lowest potential (the aluminium in our case) will act as the Anode and will be "eaten" away. At the end follow 2 sites where you can see how the galvanic corrosion can ruin your engine. When we would put an even lesser potential metal in the chain (our Zinc Anode), we will spare the aluminium parts and only the Zinc part will be eaten away. Only have to find out if the corrosion of the Zinc Anode will cause any debris which could block something in the fluid flow path. But when its not the Zinc Anode which is eaten away, its the aluminium from our cooling system parts, and i would prefer the first one..........
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38876

http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog...-head-gasket/.

Escape 08-31-2010 02:31 AM

Those guys in the link must have had some very poor parts, coolant and or maintenance practices. The two metals you are talking about (iron and aluminum) only have a .10 difference on the anodic index and a .15 difference is acceptable between metal in contact with another in an very harsh electrolyte solution/environment (severe acid or base).

.25 is considered acceptable in normal environments and .50 for controlled environments.

For example: Your household water heater uses a zinc anode and some household plumbing fixtures/connections use a dielectric union to mate together a copper pipe/fitting (.35) to a galvanized iron pipe/fitting (1.20) in a salt softened (harsh environment) and these systems last for decades.

The two metals above will eat each other as the difference is .85.

I wouldn't put an anode in your coolant system, I'd just make sure it's in proper working order.

I'd imagine that those wear patterns are directly related to abrasive particles suspended in the coolant eating away the housing of the water pump at high velocity over a period of years and/or poor initial design.

JeepMe 08-31-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 261457)
Those guys in the link must have had some very poor parts, coolant and or maintenance practices. The two metals you are talking about (iron and aluminum) only have a .10 difference on the anodic index and a .15 difference is acceptable between metal in contact with another in an very harsh electrolyte solution/environment (severe acid or base).

.25 is considered acceptable in normal environments and .50 for controlled environments.

For example: Your household water heater uses a zinc anode and some household plumbing fixtures/connections use a dielectric union to mate together a copper pipe/fitting (.35) to a galvanized iron pipe/fitting (1.20) in a salt softened (harsh environment) and these systems last for decades.

The two metals above will eat each other as the difference is .85.

I wouldn't put an anode in your coolant system, I'd just make sure it's in proper working order.

I'd imagine that those wear patterns are directly related to abrasive particles suspended in the coolant eating away the housing of the water pump at high velocity over a period of years and/or poor initial design.

You also need to realize that galvanic corrosion and NOT be simplified into just the anodic table. There are many other things to factor in such as electrical resistance of the joint, conductivity of the electrolyte, relative area/mass, and polarization.

Frango100 09-01-2010 07:23 PM

Thanks for the explanations guys. So if the coolant fluid has been changed at the regular intervals and with the right stuff, there should be nothing to be worried about?

Escape 09-01-2010 08:26 PM

No need to worry.