Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - ZJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/)
-   -   Having problems with my transmission (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/having-problems-with-my-transmission-12420.html)

cgastineau 08-30-2010 03:04 PM

Having problems with my transmission

ok so i think the transmission may be slipping and im not sure. when i put it into gear, there is a large noise and a jerk. when im going slow it sometimes does not want to go into the next gear. when i am at a dead stop and try to go the engine revs and doesnt go and then a second or 2 later it jerks me. almost have had some accidents because of this. anybody know what to do about this?

jonnyg 08-30-2010 03:13 PM

Re: Having problems with my transmission

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgastineau (Post 261325)
ok so i think the transmission may be slipping and im not sure. when i put it into gear, there is a large noise and a jerk. when im going slow it sometimes does not want to go into the next gear. when i am at a dead stop and try to go the engine revs and doesnt go and then a second or 2 later it jerks me. almost have had some accidents because of this. anybody know what to do about this?

bring it back to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty.

cgastineau 08-30-2010 03:14 PM

thats the problem. no warranty its a 98 and has 160k miles

Jim Hef 08-30-2010 03:50 PM

You have a ZJ, and you need to be in that section of this Forum. Scroll down in the selection menu at the bottom for that.

I think you need a rebuild of the trans, but first, did you check the fluid level, and when's the last time this was serviced with new filters?

cgastineau 08-30-2010 03:57 PM

ok sorry i wasnt sure what the wk and zj meant. havent been serviced in a few years. atleast not since i have had it. too much money

whatevrworks 08-30-2010 03:59 PM

Well after posting here maybe we can convince you to buy a 2011 WK2, thats what this forum is about, and what better way to get rid of trans problems than to get a new car!

Scottina06 08-30-2010 04:10 PM

moved to appropriate forum. Good luck with the fix

cgastineau 08-30-2010 05:40 PM

yeah i actually want a new rubicon. but have to wait a few years before i get one

Escape 08-30-2010 10:03 PM

Check fluid if low...top it off and go have the trans serviced. If problem is still there you need a new transmission.

Jim Hef 09-07-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgastineau (Post 261346)
...too much money

More money than a trans rebuild??? Foolish move on your part! These vehicles need maintenance, and that does cost some, but you can do this work yourself with a few tools and a bit of guidance! In all seriousness, look at your owner's manual and check the service intervals. You'll realize that there's plenty to do to keep these things running correctly. I hope you didn't screw your trans by your neglect!