Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   V6 or Hemi??? Anybody driven both??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/v6-or-hemi-anybody-driven-both-12423.html)

grif82 08-30-2010 03:10 PM

V6 or Hemi??? Anybody driven both???

How adequate would you consider the new Pentastar V6 in an Overland or Limited 4x4 if one doesn't plan on towing anything and doesn't need QDII. Does it has have enough pickup to pass on 2-lane highways and enough acceleration to get up to speed on interstate on-ramps? Is it worth saving the $2k off MSRP and $500+ a year in fuel cost?

Also, would anybody here like to share their overall experiences with the new V6 or the Hemi and the fuel economy they are getting?

suprand 08-30-2010 03:24 PM

Re: V6 or Hemi??? Anybody driven both???

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/3-6-or-5-7-now-that-is-the-question-12053.html

I've driven both and its just personal preference. I do a lot of combined city/highway driving, no towing. I chose the v6 and felt it had adequate acceleration and I thought the performance on the highway when climbing higher speeds was very good. My jeep is on order so my experience is limited to test drives.

TREKER 08-30-2010 03:25 PM

I drove both before I made purchase. I think its really personal preference. I went for the hemi because I had my 04 ram last 200,000 miles and like the extra power.

The nice thing about the newer hemi is the MDS. It should help with the gas consumption a bit. But based on my stable, fuel economy is not a big issue with me... ;)

Good luck.

jpsmith 08-30-2010 03:30 PM

I'm averagine 15mpg with the Hemi. I think it would be better if I didn't sit in traffic for 15 minutes each morning. MDS shuts off when you're in stop & go. The one time I took an all-highway trip and checked mileage, it was 19 mpg, but I had to cross the mountains from eastern VA into western PA. That wasn't a valid "highway" test. Based on those numbers, I think I could expect to get about 21 or so if I did all expressway driving without crossing mountains.

grif82 08-30-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpsmith (Post 261339)
I'm averagine 15mpg with the Hemi. I think it would be better if I didn't sit in traffic for 15 minutes each morning. MDS shuts off when you're in stop & go. The one time I took an all-highway trip and checked mileage, it was 19 mpg, but I had to cross the mountains from eastern VA into western PA. That wasn't a valid "highway" test. Based on those numbers, I think I could expect to get about 21 or so if I did all expressway driving without crossing mountains.

Cool, and thanks for all the responses thus far. Hopefully someone will chime in and let us know what kind of fuel economy they're getting with the Pentastar V6.:)

whatevrworks 08-30-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grif82 (Post 261342)
Cool, and thanks for all the responses thus far. Hopefully someone will chime in and let us know what kind of fuel economy they're getting with the Pentastar V6.:)

I drove both and am glad I bought the Hemi. Have you ever heard of anyone bitching: "man I wish I had got a smaller engine because its just too easy to pass people on the highway or have the ability to tow stuff"? No it is usually the other way around people kicking themselves for not getting the bigger engine. I had this experience with my 02 Grand Cherokee picked the 6 cyl and although I love the car and still have it, have kicked myself for years for not getting the 8.

The only real reason to get the six is if you want to avoid the initial cost of the 5.7 or if you are concerned about gas mileage. But then again if you are that concerned with mpg you should go drive a bubble car or a lawnmower with a couple seats, not be looking at jeeps.

In the end if you are not towing, and dont think you really NEED the extra power its all about personal preference. I say get the Hemi.

Djeazie 08-30-2010 03:58 PM

Im getting about 20 mpg with the v6. I had a hemi ram before and was quite surprised as to how well the v6 pulls. It has a great passing gear, and seems to like to really rev! I would say it feels like the Jeep v6 and my hemi Ram would be a good race. The Jeep is probably lighter than my Ram was so its really not a good comparison for power but Im happy with the 6.

grif82 08-30-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatevrworks (Post 261347)
I drove both and am glad I bought the Hemi. Have you ever heard of anyone bitching: "man I wish I had got a smaller engine because its just too easy to pass people on the highway or have the ability to tow stuff"? No it is usually the other way around people kicking themselves for not getting the bigger engine. I had this experience with my 02 Grand Cherokee picked the 6 cyl and although I love the car and still have it, have kicked myself for years for not getting the 8.

I understand your point, but the Pentastar V6 and the old 3.7 V6 are like apples and oranges. According to some reviews online the Pentastar is nearly 2 seconds quicker to 60 than the old V6.

Blackwolf 08-30-2010 04:06 PM

I haven't spent enough time with the V6 so I can't really compare but I took mine (5.7)on a road trip the week I bought it and over a week and 1600 miles I averaged 21.6. This was almost all highway but still. MDS does great when allowed to work, ie cruise control and consistant speeds. Around town I just switched to Synthetic and am now at 14.3 and still climbing. I will say I'm a bit addicted to the throttle so I'm sure I could eek out 15 if I drove it a little easier. Plus it's almost all stop and go

BW

whatevrworks 08-30-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grif82 (Post 261356)
I understand your point, but the Pentastar V6 and the old 3.7 V6 are like apples and oranges. According to some reviews online the Pentastar is nearly 2 seconds quicker to 60 than the old V6.

I had the straight six the 4.0, but regardless I why would you not want more power especially if cost was not prohibitive?

dubwarren 08-30-2010 04:07 PM

hemi, all day every day.

grif82 08-30-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djeazie (Post 261348)
Im getting about 20 mpg with the v6.

Cool, is that combined mileage or strictly highway mileage? Hopefully, there are owners out there that get 22/23 or better mileage on freeways.