Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Well this is weird (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/well-this-is-weird-1244.html)

NHWK05 07-07-2009 08:43 PM

Well this is weird

I noticed that some times right after a cold start my jeep will hesitate. The other day i started my jeep after an hour of sitting. I started it and put it in reverse and no matter how much i hit the gas it just kinda went slow. Then when i shifted in to 1st (driving it manually) it had little to no throttle response for about 10 seconds and then it came alive. This has happened a few times now.

BTW it still has a funky low idle and occasionally stalls out still. The reflash of the computer did nothing for that either.

2005 4.7 V8

Scottina06 07-07-2009 10:48 PM

Re: Well this is weird

mine has done that from time to time....something about oil or something getting to the rearend. dont quote me on that though....lol

Nand12 07-07-2009 10:59 PM

Check your transmission fluid level because it sounds like the torque converter isn't filling fast enough on startup (low transmission fluid can also cause stalling/rough idle). There is also a TSB out on a similar condition (delayed/harsh gear engagement on cold startup) regarding the transmission filter allowing the fluid to drain out of the converter. There is an updated filter for this issue so you might want to drop the pan and do a tranny service. Check the tranny cooler lines for leaks if you determine that the fluid is low and replace if necessary.

Matt 07-07-2009 11:04 PM

I have had the same issue before... when I researched it I found the below to be the correct diagnosis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nand12 (Post 29753)
Check your transmission fluid level because it sounds like the torque converter isn't filling fast enough on startup (low transmission fluid can also cause stalling/rough idle). There is also a TSB out on a similar condition (delayed/harsh gear engagement on cold startup) regarding the transmission filter allowing the fluid to drain out of the converter. There is an updated filter for this issue so you might want to drop the pan and do a tranny service. Check the tranny cooler lines for leaks if you determine that the fluid is low and replace if necessary.

Scottina06 07-07-2009 11:05 PM

Nand12 is the man

NHWK05 07-08-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nand12 (Post 29753)

You are the second person to mention adding some tranny fluid. Now i feel comfortable doing it. Thanks alot.

What atf does this tranny use? My AW4 tranny in my Xj just used dexron/mercon fluid.

White WK Swagga 07-08-2009 08:53 AM

Way to go fellas. Good looking out. I hope it works out for ya Kyle...

NHWK05 07-08-2009 09:03 AM

Me too!

jeepnjeep 07-08-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 29846)
You are the second person to mention adding some tranny fluid. Now i feel comfortable doing it. Thanks alot.

What atf does this tranny use? My AW4 tranny in my Xj just used dexron/mercon fluid.

Use only ATF-4. Anything else and the tranny will not like it.

NHWK05 07-08-2009 09:48 AM

Thanks. I just found it here too in an online owners manual. (We should sticky this info)

Component Fluid, Lubricant, or Genuine Part
Engine Coolant Mopar௡ Antifreeze/Coolant 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula HOAT (Hybrid Or-
ganic Additive Technology)
Engine Oil (3.7L/4.7L Engines) Use API Certified SAE 5W-30 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of
DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-6395.
Engine Oil (5.7L Engines) Use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of
DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-6395.
Oil Filter (All Engines) Mopar௡ Oil Filter (P/N 05281090)
Spark Plugs Refer to the Vehicle Emission Control Information label in the engine com-
partment.
Fuel Selection (3.7L and 4.7L En- 87 Octane
gines)
Fuel Selection (5.7L Engines) 87 Octane Acceptable - 89 Octane Recommended

Automatic Transmission Mopar௡ ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid
Transfer Case Mopar௡ ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid

Axle Differential (Front-Rear) Mopar௡ Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140 (API-GL5) or
equivalent with friction modifier additive.
Brake Master Cylinder Mopar௡ DOT 3 Brake Fluid, SAE J1703 should be used. If DOT 3, SAE
J1703 brake fluid is not available, then DOT 4 is acceptable. Use only rec-
ommended brake fluids.
Power Steering Reservoir This system requires the use of Mopar௡ Hydraulic System Power Steering
Fluid (P/N 05142893AA) or equivalent, which meets DaimlerChrysler Ma-
terial Standard MS-10838.

Nand12 07-08-2009 11:28 AM

Yup, only use ATF+4 in these transmissions. If you just need to top off the fluid, you can pick up SuperTech ATF+4 from your local wallyworld (it is licensed by Chrysler as a genuine ATF+4 and it's cheap) for less than $3 a quart.

Marlon_JB2 07-08-2009 02:18 PM

Funny! I had this same issue in my Liberty CRD with the 545RFE, and overfilling the transmission solved the issue.