Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Flash messages (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/flash-messages-12448.html)

VanMan 09-01-2010 11:43 AM

Flash messages

I have had the following 2 flash messages displaying for a while on my 2005 Hemi:

1) Service 4wd system
2) Service elec brake system

I had it at the dealer today and the mechanic "assures" me it is because I have oversize tyres fitted - 265/70/17. The problem is that I only fitted the bigger tyres 2000km ago and these errors have been there for a long time (maybe 20000km). At the same time these messages came up my ESP light also came on and the cruise control stopped working.

Surely there is another problem? I have seen posts regarding the brake system that says that the brake light switch is faulty, can this be? Other posts say that the 4wd system flash can be reste by the dealer, is this true?

Escape 09-01-2010 12:39 PM

Re: Flash messages

Your PCM software is old it needs updated.

Your tires have nothing to do with it (as long as they are all the same size).

ny450es 09-01-2010 03:50 PM

try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes to reset it.

i have an 09 overland...back in june an electrical gremlin reared its head. all my guages went dead, my gig was totally dead and all the warning lights(abs, check engine, etc.) lit up like a x-mas tree. i disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes. after i hooked the battery back up, all the problems disappeared. the jeep hasn't had a hick-up since. gd luck

Chaoul1 09-01-2010 03:51 PM

Does it cost anything to update it???

jeepgcoman 09-01-2010 05:24 PM

I believe a PCM CALID update at most dealers is around $100, unless it is associated with warranty AND a TSB. So, out of warranty you for sure pay. Also, I've heard that some dealers won't update unless it is indicated by a TSB. Others don't care as long as you give them $$$. Don't know how true that is though. You can also buy a Diablosport Predator tuner and update it yourself. Find out what the dealer charges and then decide if the difference is worth it to you.........i.e. tuner costs $300, dealer charges $125 for update, tuner net cost is now $175. Not a bad price for a tuner. Granted the DS is not as good as the Superchips, but is still pretty good, and both have features the other one doesn't.

Marlin 09-01-2010 05:50 PM

VanMan, don't stress mate, they nearly all do it at some stage.
Try the battery disconnect overnight, if it returns, it's a trip to the dealer for a reflash.

VanMan 09-02-2010 03:04 AM

Thanks Ben, on both threads.

I have disconnected the battery, but that was before it was with the dealer. The car is with American SUV today, hopefully it can be sorted out. If so, I will take their invoice back to the dealer and demand a (at least partial) refund!

For the record, the tyres are all the same size.

Scottina06 09-02-2010 03:11 AM

it also could be as simple as dirty battery terminals....