Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Has anyone purchased & installed MYGIG in a 2011? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/has-anyone-purchased-and-installed-mygig-in-a-2011-a-12449.html)

brogan2424 09-01-2010 12:24 PM

Has anyone purchased & installed MYGIG in a 2011?
 
Hello all,

Awesome site, have learned quite a bit since purchasing my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 2 weeks ago after trading in my beloved 06 SRT8. I saw on eBay an auction for a MYGIG NAV unit that the seller advised was compatible w/08, 09,10 & 11 Cherokees. After contacting the seller, he told me he was fairly certain it would work w/a 2011 but they needed me to pop off the bezel so he could see the screw pattern to confirm it would fit. After getting him those pics, he advised that it wouldn't work. He also told me that they would be getting the correct unit & would have it available in another month or so. Has anyone purchased & installed a MYGIG NAV in their 2011 Cherokee? If so, was it plug & play or did you have to make a kit for it? I was initially looking to go aftermarket but will probably try to get a MYGIG if I can...

Thanks!

gc4x4 09-01-2010 01:37 PM

Re: Has anyone purchased & installed MYGIG in a 2011?
 
I believe as long as the Mygig is the high speed version, that it will work in the 11' WK2.
I test drove an 11' and the Mygig RER looked exactly like the one in my 09 except the 11' WK2 is high speed bus whereas the WK is low speed bus,that is the only difference.

Djeazie 09-01-2010 01:46 PM

Re: Has anyone purchased & installed MYGIG in a 2011?
 
The mounts are different on the 2011's. They are on the top of the radio vs. the sides on the 2010's and older. Might be able to make it work though.

cbnbmore 09-04-2010 06:29 PM

Re: Has anyone purchased & installed MYGIG in a 2011?
 
I just saw this post after responding in another with a similar question. So we will need a new bracket to mount a double din unit that has screw holes on the top I guess?
What about the harness in the back of the radio? Does it look like the current PAC harness will fit the factory harness for 2011?

josale 09-04-2010 11:05 PM

Re: Has anyone purchased & installed MYGIG in a 2011?
 
well the 08-10 mygig wont fit but the harness in the back is the same. even with a braket i dont think it will fit unless you cut part of the sides of the 08-10 my gig, if anybody know further please advice. thanks...

Milous 09-05-2010 01:29 AM

Re: Has anyone purchased & installed MYGIG in a 2011?
 
Fitment is not the concern, the WK2 uses the high-speed Bus system which makes the WK1 & WK2 radios incompatible. Jeep most likely made the mounting change to prevent radios from being swapped. While the connectors are the same, there are differences in the pinouts. If you have a WK2 you need to stick with a WK2 compatible radio (!!!).

If it were me I'd wait 4-5 months and buy the new WK2 RHR radio which will be the new replacement for the WK2 RER.

Scottina06 09-05-2010 06:02 AM

Re: Has anyone purchased & installed MYGIG in a 2011?
 
^^^^^good info...as usual

cbnbmore 09-05-2010 09:01 AM

Re: Has anyone purchased & installed MYGIG in a 2011?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 263275)
Fitment is not the concern, the WK2 uses the high-speed Bus system which makes the WK1 & WK2 radios incompatible. Jeep most likely made the mounting change to prevent radios from being swapped. While the connectors are the same, there are differences in the pinouts. If you have a WK2 you need to stick with a WK2 compatible radio (!!!).

If it were me I'd wait 4-5 months and buy the new WK2 RHR radio which will be the new replacement for the WK2 RER.

Thanks Milous. That seems to mean that the aftermarket radio swaps are going to have to be put on hold also. If the pinouts are different that means the PAC canbus harness may not work depending on which pin assignments were switched in the C2 harness.
Usually when they make a major change to the pinouts they change the shape of the harness to prevent people from plugging incompatible pieces together and damaging the electronics. This was done in 2008 by making the connector curved on one end to prevent the use of 2007 and earlier radios. Do you happen to know the pinouts in the C2 harness yet?
I'm sure Metra and PAC will update their products to enable aftermarket upgrades but it will likely take a few months before they are available.

J13ntv 09-05-2010 09:19 AM

Re: Has anyone purchased & installed MYGIG in a 2011?
 
May I ask why someone would buy a MYgig for a 2011??


After thinking about it for another minute it poped into my head not all Jeeps have NAV I assume thats what your going for!

Milous 09-05-2010 02:41 PM

Re: Has anyone purchased & installed MYGIG in a 2011?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cbnbmore (Post 263306)
Thanks Milous. That seems to mean that the aftermarket radio swaps are going to have to be put on hold also. If the pinouts are different that means the PAC canbus harness may not work depending on which pin assignments were switched in the C2 harness.
Usually when they make a major change to the pinouts they change the shape of the harness to prevent people from plugging incompatible pieces together and damaging the electronics. This was done in 2008 by making the connector curved on one end to prevent the use of 2007 and earlier radios. Do you happen to know the pinouts in the C2 harness yet?
I'm sure Metra and PAC will update their products to enable aftermarket upgrades but it will likely take a few months before they are available.

Actually, to be more accurate, the pinouts did not change - the difference is that 8 of the empty slots have been filled on connectors C1 and C2 for UCI and USB data. I'll be adding the new 2011 radio pinout info to the WK2Jeeps.com site very soon.

brogan2424 09-05-2010 05:17 PM

Re: Has anyone purchased & installed MYGIG in a 2011?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J13ntv (Post 263310)
May I ask why someone would buy a MYgig for a 2011??


After thinking about it for another minute it poped into my head not all Jeeps have NAV I assume thats what your going for!

I bought a Laredo w/the stock radio. Just not sure if I want to wait & get a MYGIG unit whenever they may become available or pick up a Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT then get installed now...

cbnbmore 09-05-2010 07:12 PM

Re: Has anyone purchased & installed MYGIG in a 2011?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 263407)
Actually, to be more accurate, the pinouts did not change - the difference is that 8 of the empty slots have been filled on connectors C1 and C2 for UCI and USB data. I'll be adding the new 2011 radio pinout info to the WK2Jeeps.com site very soon.

I take it if the pinouts are the same then the PAC and Metra harnesses should work with the 2011 models as the UCI and USB data pins are not needed. I guess all that's left is to fabricate a new mounting bracket to accommodate the topside mounting screws.
Do you know if the instrument housing that must be removed to remove the radio is still a pry job around the edges or has Jeep hidden a few new obstacles that must be dealt with?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community